• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 INKA Pricing Help

All,

Well the time maybe approaching to move on to the next project. Looking for some input on pricing for my 72 Inka. I purchased the car in late 2013 and drove it home from California to Philadelphia area. In 2014-2015 a full mechanical restoration was done and upgraded all items below.  Paint is all original except the engine bay which was redone prior to dropping the rebuilt motor in. No rust is present but paint is thin in areas and minor dings from 50 years of use. The car looks great and I keep it polished and waxed with prima products. I didn't want touch the body since its only original once. I've put 25K on the car since the purchase with 20k being since rebuilding motor. Sort, drive, repeat. Total mileage 120,000

Engine: Original M10, 10:1 compression with oversized Mahle pistons, Fully balanced, ported and gasket matched. 292 Schrick cam, Vac Motorsports rockers with 911 type adjusters, 5 angle valve job with 1mm oversized intake valves, canon intakes(ported), Italian 40 DCOEs, MSD ignition with 7000 rpm limit, Korman Stahl ceramic coated header with Korman supplied German stainless exhaust. Getting 25mpg+ highway and it will bury the needle. 

5 Speed 245 Getrag Trans, 3.90 LSD. 

Suspension: Ground control coilovers with adjustable perches in rear, power coated subframes, boxed in rear training arms. All new German rubber components. Brakes Vented front rotors with Girling calipers and 250mm rear drums, both with porter pads. IE 22/19mm swaybars and camber plates. E30 steelies power coated silver with BF Goodrich a/s 195/50/14, F/R strut braces

Cibie H4 lamps with relay, Hella horns, Momo steering wheel, LED rear tail light upgrade and front reflectors also have LED lights. Recaro sport seats with new bolsters. Center console deleted at present but included. Has small tear. Bluetooth speaker under dash.  Rally cell phone holder installed with no damage to dash. Coco mats, New center carpet sections. 

Fuel Tank: Original modified like Alpina Long Range Tank, In trunk fill, Holds 22gals and gives 500-550 mile range. Vented to exterior. Has lengthened sender that works with gauge. Full size spare.

With the amount of work and originality of body, what range would this car be in? I am looking for some feedback to make a decision. Also didn't want to go BAT route. 

Thanks all.  Is my thinking 45-50K nuts? 

Nothing is good without photos. Included one of when I picked it up in Cali and a few of the build items. 

2013-02-04_16-05-39_292.jpg

20210704_183844.jpg

20210417_150610.jpg

20210622_173522.jpg

20210704_181456.jpg

20200525_204817.jpg

20201219_094336.jpg

20210704_181051.jpg

20200526_181725.jpg

IMG_20150527_122545145_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150623_090015779.jpg

20200526_080406.jpg

20200525_205212.jpg

Edited by GirtAllerton
  • Like 1

Given everything that you’ve done to it, how well preserved the body and paint is, the year and color, I think that 45-50K as you stated is not unreasonable at all. That’s a very nice car.

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

16 minutes ago, NYNick said:

On BaT that car could go for more than the estimates given so far. 

Nice car!

I agree, on bat just the pictures of your car in that beautiful shop will add thousands to the price, that just the way bat buyers are.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

All, thanks for kind words. 

Jim, hope you and your son are doing well. Had a great time that year at vintage. Only reason for selling would to be to build/drive and enjoy another vintage bmw. I will be there this year if all goes well. 

I agree with the BAT statements but I think I would only sell to an in-person buyer. This car is authentic but has flaws that are hidden by a camera. I wouldn't want to sell for a few more bucks and then have someone unhappy. I know personally that I had 2 cars inspected that I decided not to buy that went onto BAT to make more money. Those buyers would have saved cash by going on the forums looking for those models and dealing direct before bidding on pretty pictures. I think its artifically driving the market. Thats why I am asking for your guys evaluation. This car has some paint flaws, rear bumper is slightly pushed in, few dings from the PO's tiny SanFransico garage, thin paint on hood with slight primer showing thru on the seams, front has some road rash, etc. I left all that as its history. Plus then I could drive it. Really difficult to capture unless its in person. Maybe I'm devaluating it as I go on but rather be honest about it. Does patina add or subtract? Guess its up to the buyer. Just trying to find a place to start and then decide if I can let it go. Just like all of us when we think of selling. Thanks

13 hours ago, GirtAllerton said:

All, thanks for kind words. 

Jim, hope you and your son are doing well. Had a great time that year at vintage. Only reason for selling would to be to build/drive and enjoy another vintage bmw. I will be there this year if all goes well. 

I agree with the BAT statements but I think I would only sell to an in-person buyer. This car is authentic but has flaws that are hidden by a camera. I wouldn't want to sell for a few more bucks and then have someone unhappy. I know personally that I had 2 cars inspected that I decided not to buy that went onto BAT to make more money. Those buyers would have saved cash by going on the forums looking for those models and dealing direct before bidding on pretty pictures. I think its artifically driving the market. Thats why I am asking for your guys evaluation. This car has some paint flaws, rear bumper is slightly pushed in, few dings from the PO's tiny SanFransico garage, thin paint on hood with slight primer showing thru on the seams, front has some road rash, etc. I left all that as its history. Plus then I could drive it. Really difficult to capture unless its in person. Maybe I'm devaluating it as I go on but rather be honest about it. Does patina add or subtract? Guess its up to the buyer. Just trying to find a place to start and then decide if I can let it go. Just like all of us when we think of selling. Thanks

This is exactly how I feel about selling my car. Unfortunately BaT draws thousands more eyes than this or any other website might, with the possible exception of Ebay. GLWS. Nice car.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Great car - very similar build to what I am running (less induction and color, I am running a LYNX with a DCOE 45 and red).

I would use the below linked BaT auction as an analog, which went for $50k (non-tii).  Noticeable differences are color and carb, but similar quality of build and presentation.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-bmw-2002-48/

I would certainly think original paint regardless of whatever signs of use may be present would be preferred to a fresh restoration.  That said I wouldn’t say I have my finger on the pulse of the bidders.

To me the car seems remarkably well-preserved and enhanced.  Sorry you’re looking to sell. 

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

Gentlemen, Thanks for the comments. Georges especially appreciated, what do you think the items are that would put it in the 30-35k range?  I honestly would like your opinion since I asked for it. I do agree the 50 number also seems high to me personally. Although, I wouldn't stop someone trying to hand it to me. Thanks G