• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed Pre Purchase info

I was wondering if any of you gurus can help me with this Vin? 2763572. Car is listed as a 1973 Tii. The current color is Inka Orange and it has a sunroof. I am trying to determine the original roots of this car. The current owner has had it since 2006 and thinks it was originally a different color and is not sure if the car came factory equipped with a sunroof. I also need to get the car up in the air to get the transmission and engine ID numbers to see if it has its original drive train. I am being told this is a true California car. It has the old blue with gold letter/number license plate. Any and all help is appreciated.

You used to be able to contact bmw for some of the build sheet, vin, original color and maybe sometimes if it was fitted with a oem sunroof, but they are moving and not avalible until fall or so, the oem glodie sunroof are not hard to id, non of the aftermarket sunroof kit will  look like it, the car vin stamped on the back of the right side fender should match the engine number stamped above the starter motor left rear of engine, the tranny does not have a vin. Picture would be helpfull. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Since 73 tii VINs began with 2762630 and ended at 2764521, and model year production started around 1 Sept of the previous year (in this case Sept '72) this one I would guess as a Dec '72-Jan '73 car.   When you have a chance to examine the car closely, you should be able to find some original paint spots in hidden places--under the back seat, beneath the carpet, under the trunk floor etc.  And of course the original paint color sticker may still be in place near the stamped VIN plate.  

As Son of Marty pointed out, an aftermarket sunroof is patently different from the factory Golde.  Even an aftermarket Golde has a slightly different shape.  

Since you know the VIN, you might try looking it up on the FAQ register.  That may give you some additional information.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

What they ^ said! I warned that the BMW Group Archive’s temporary closure would be painful!

VIN 2763572 is a U.S.-spec 1973 model 2002tii manufactured in very late February or early March 1973. If the car has had a truly comprehensive re-paint, e.g., every last bolt removed, bare shell placed on a rotisserie, the only evidence of the original color might be the records of BMW Group Archives. But… 98% of color changes are not comprehensive and evidence remains — under the carpets, under the dash, in engine compartments, in trunks, on the underside. If none of those areas is revealing anything to you, or you’re not allowed access because you don’t yet own it, you can at least open the glove compartment and look what color you see on the firewall and the underside of the dashboard support. Have a flashlight handy.

The interior color may also be a tip off as to the possible, and likely, exterior color. Interiors, however, do get swapped. But if, for instance, the front seats were the distinctive late 1973 style — 12 mm. headrest supports and eared headrests — one might be looking at an original interior. Is that an interior color likely to be paired with the current exterior color? I’m assuming that the exterior color is a readily-identifiable ‘02 color. Is it? And is it a readily-identifiable ‘02 color that was also available in February/March 1973? For instance, Anthrazitgrau, Mintgrun, Pastelblau, and Sienabraun had not yet been invented. Manila and Florida, on the other hand, were long gone.

Lastly, you might get really, really lucky and find that @02Les has some record of the car from a previous sale!

A few good photos might allow us to say more!

Good luck!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

7 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Wow.....

Hope the sun rises tomorrow...

Well if it's going to be 121' like our brothers just to the north had last week, it could take a day off IMO?.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

You won't find identifying numbers with the car in the air-

the transmissions were never marked, and the engine was stamped on

the pad above the starter motor, easily (ish) visible with the hood up.

Check for plastic intake macaroni.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

It's a 73 so it should have aluminum runners, but it also should have a machine stamped timing notch not hand cut out, as far as i recall.

• Thanks 1

George S Patton