• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bushing replacement?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Yah you can do it yourself! You can get new rubber ones from guys like Paul@max or a number of other places which also usually sell urethane ones. Paul Gray whos on here also sells some nice urethane ones too for cheap $$. Anyways, the car will feel SOOO much better after changing em, and you have unlimited tech support from people on the Board!! :D

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

In thr front just buy the whole lower control arm. It will come with new bushings already installed . If you want urethane you would have to press them in the arms. The strut rod bushings should be replaced at the same time. Also check the center track rod and tie rods. If you have it that far apart its a good time to replace balljoints shocks springs and upper mounts. In the rear the carrier mounts should be replaced. Then it would also be a good opportunity to replace the rear control arm bushings springs shocks etc its all apart so why not. Two solid weekends of fun but it will drive like new.

Guest Anonymous

Assuming that my bushings are worn out, what kind of an effect will

replacing the bushings have on handling quality? Is bushing replacement

something I can do? Also, what are some good kits out there?

Thanks,

Tim

Guest Anonymous

My '76 desperately needs a front suspension job ASAP! I have bought the bearings kits for the front axle, rotors, brake pads to replace - which I have to do also. I know I have to replace shocks and perhaps struts (BTW- How can you tell if your struts need replacement?). Anyway, can you guide me in the right direction as to what specific parts I will need to replace (If possible, Bushing part number, ball joint, etc). I'm kinda in a tight budget and I'd like to know what would be the bare minimum to replace and still get a smooth ride. (Although, the way my car handles now, probably anything will make a huge improvement!)

Thanks in Advance!

BTW: I don't feel confident to attack this job as a DIY.

Victor

'74 '02A (Smooth rider!)

'76 '02 (I don't dare to take it for a ride.)

Guest Anonymous

If you have a lot of bounce in the front end its probably the shocks. The strut housing is where the shock is inserted and probably does not need replacement. The other thing that often wears out is the tie rod ends and center track rod. But that is more or less a different area of the front suspension. If you start with the shocks it will require removal of the strut springs ot get out the shock. So if you replace the shocks for almost no additional labor you can replace the upper bearing mounts and the springs (opional on the springs). The ball joints are on the bottom of the struts and could be replaced at the same time then you will be done with that section of the car. You could try it out to see how it rides then decide if you want to go for the tie rod ends lower arms ect. Just replacing the shocks, ball joints and upper bearing mounts probably will not require an alignment but replacing the tir rod ends shurly will.