• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

76 Mintgrun on BAT sells for $63k! Must be a new record.....

resra

Something very odd about that auction.

It was as if scripted like a reality tv program. Pretty much everyone that commentated got a zillion likes thus turning the whole thing yellow.

If it is real, then the winner definitely had a lot more money than sense (system normal for BAT).

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Of course it was the color! And, in my never humble opinion, the stock air cleaner. That was the clincher. And about two months ago I got tired of the K&N chrome bonnet on Lilli, and this week a stock air cleaner hose and summer/winter box will replace the ubiquitous K&N.

But seriously, as Steve/Conserv says, this is not a low mileage car. Read the BaT description. It lacks original seat fabric and headliner, there are touch up spots that my grandson, five years old, could have done a better job with, dings in the belt trim,  visible rust on a wheel arch, speakers in the back seat foot wells,.

It does not add up to $63,000 big ones any way you cut it.

Steve

• Like 1

Take a look at the bid history--it went up over $20k in the last hour or so, and closer to $30k when the bidding resumed the morning of the last auction day.  That denotes a bidding war; two folks with buck fever who aren't gonna leave the dance without the prom queen.  (How's that for a mixed metaphor?)

Leave off the last day's bidding and the price was about what Rob Siegel's reserve was on his 48k mile original '02--that didn't meet reserve, if you remember...

I think this was an outlier, so folks, don't get your hopes up that a $60k '02 resides in your garage unless it's a Turbo or an exceptionally low mileage tii or early roundie. 

Wonder whatever happened to the 9k mile Fjord squarelight that was at the 2002 CCA Ofest in Colorado...now that one would be a $60k car today

mike  

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So if you take a look in the Euro Ford world you will see the Capri and RS cars going for big money, they were good fun cars for the working man, the Capri was the British Mustang, both were in my family, and neither as well made as our 02’s yet the Lotus TwinCam and Mk1 RS are very expensive, id rather my Tii over either.

it was bound to happen as the various generators get more disposable income, it brings good and bad to our hobby, but I doubt MVP would be making the panels they do without our cars being popular, I’m just glad I bought mine when I did.

• Like 1

My 02 (two cents) on that particular '02 and BaT in general, there is nothing binding the buyer to follow through on the transaction other than losing their buyer's premium and getting booted from BaT. As such I suspect a large number of auctions on that site never result in an actual sale, particularly with bidding wars that get out of hand. Also I have direct knowledge of a high bidder on another car renegotiating the price after the fact. I could rant about this for hours but I will stop here. (for now)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lewisfoto said:

My 02 (two cents) on that particular '02 and BaT in general, there is nothing binding the buyer to follow through on the transaction other than losing their buyer's premium and getting booted from BaT. As such I suspect a large number of auctions on that site never result in an actual sale, particularly with bidding wars that get out of hand. Also I have direct knowledge of a high bidder on another car renegotiating the price after the fact. I could rant about this for hours but I will stop here. (for now)

As conspiracy theorist minded as I am, this could hold true in that some trickster bid it up. All intent on pimping a similar car elsewhere by establishing the "comp" for 2002's. Regardless, now all the flippers will be asking 10 grand more for their car which was worth $5k on a good day.  

Will the madness ever stop? 

but what do I know. 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 1

But what do I know

Well if this snapshot don't give you a sense of what's driving the madness. All these dealers in the game. Guys who lost their jobs over the past year and a half became side hustlers inspired by all the Motor Trend TV they watched while day drinking. 

• 1976 BMW 2002

1976 BMW 2002

Pre-Owned
    $54,995.00
    Year: 1976
    Classified Ad with Best Offer
    Miles: 48,659
    Free local pickup
    Make: BMW

•  
    1976 BMW 2002

1976 BMW 2002

Pre-Owned
    $32,500.00
    Miles: 0
    Free local pickup

•  
    1976 BMW 2002

1976 BMW 2002

Pre-Owned
    $32,500.00
    Free local pickup

•  
    1973 BMW 2002

1973 BMW 2002

Pre-Owned
    $28,500.00
    Year: 1973
    Free local pickup
Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

2 hours ago, conkitchen said:

As conspiracy theorist minded as I am, this could hold true in that some trickster bid it up. All intent on pimping a similar car elsewhere by establishing the "comp" for 2002's. Regardless, now all the flippers will be asking 10 grand more for their car which was worth $5k on a good day.  

Will the madness ever stop? 

but what do I know. 

That, has been proven to happen.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20