• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to the group, Two days into ownership, Slow slow car...

Shiparino

Your car has vacuum tubes??

Planet Analog - Is There Still a Vacuum Tube in Your Future?

I don't see a problem with removing the tubes, since you removed everything they attached to.  :) 

One thing to check is the wiring at the coil.  Blue coils have built in resistance, but the stock coil required an external resistor, to bring it up to 3 ohms total.  The Blue coil has 3 ohms, so you don't want to run the stock resistor wire with it.  That wire is inside the blue bundle and looks like an old yellowed speaker wire.  You can simply bypass it, or remove it completely.  It is spliced into the loom behind the distributor at one of the joints in the nice blue wrapper.  There is a crimp and you can simply crimp a new wire at that same point and run it to the coil +, or trace the wire to the end and run a whole new wire.  Or, run a black coil and keep the resistor wire.

Tom

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shiparino said:

So no one has a problem with removing all the vacuum tubes? That’s what I was worried about the most. 

Not so long as you caped all the engine side nipples where the vacuum hoses were.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Son of Marty said:

vacuum tubes?

I can't resist sharing this picture I just snapped of my right channel vacuum tube power amp.  The circular deposit on the inside of the larger rear power tubes is akin to an old engine loosing its' compression.

DSC_0405.JPG

The hard working full wave rectifier tube can be seen in the back behind the output tubes and multi-electrolytic capacitor can.  OK, last time way off topic.

DSC_0409.JPG

Edited by 7502
  • Like 2

Since I left gaping holes in my exhaust manifold by removing the smog stuff, I started looking for headers.  Since everybody was currently sold out, I thought about it for a second and just cut off the smog plumbing and made caps out of the threaded pieces. My welding skills aside, it was a pretty easy (although not elegant) solution.  Also cleaned up the heat shield and reinstalled.  No more open headers or backfiring. 

Now off to tackle the wiring mess.  Maybe do a quick power wash in the engine compartment first.

IMG_0354.jpg

• Like 2

I link this thread all the time, but it's amazing how many times I'm so freakin happy that I have the right tool, or the ability to make the tool, to do the job properly.  A welding machine helps so much with this.

• Thanks 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

2 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

Please god wash the engine bay :)

Haha!  I power washed it last night.  First of many cleanings to get all that crud off.  Ultimately, the engine and trans will have to come out to really clean and paint prep the area.