• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose exterior rearview mirror -- do I need to remove int. d

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

to tighten it? Car is a 1976 and the mirror is stock. Everytime you shut the door, the mirror droops a little bit. The mirror appears to be tight to the door itself, just loose on the pivot. I seem to remember someone mentioning about removing a rubber gasket/plug/grommet at the rear of the mirror (on later model years) to expose a set screw or something like that.

Anybody know what the hell I am referring to here? Can anyone help me out?

TIA

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

or does the set screw tighten the pivot? I know, "once you take it apart, it will be evident just what to do" but I am at work now and will hopefully get a peak at tightening it tonight when I get home. I just want to avoid the question later tonight.

Thanks Glenn!! That Jag looks like a freakin' torpedo. The father of a friend of mine in high school had a '67 convertible (what year was the one in the pics?) that looked similar. Man, what a sleek car that was.

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

You remember correctly. There is a small rubber plug at the rear of the mirror base. Pull that down and you will see a set screw. Unscrew it and you can pull the entire mirror off the base and disassemble. Installation is obviously the reverse.

Guest Anonymous

Chuck, when you get the mirror off, you will find that

a spring keeps the tension on the mirror adjustment. If

you try to tighten the nut holding the mirror it may

just break off. Mine did, now I have a nice shiny NEW

mirror. Good luck

Steve in Santa Barbara

76 inka (with new mirror)

daily driver

original o

Guest Anonymous

more cracked paint and rust under the gasket. Anyone know if that rubber gasket is available or if I should try to make one just a little smaller out of an inner tube and put it under the old gasket? I have a feeling that the paint could crack again in time any time the mirror gets "forceably adjusted" or does new paint have more flexibility to it?

Any thoughts??

Chuck