• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid America 02Fest postponed until April 2022

Mike Self

In case you didn't receive the e-mail, or haven't registered for this year's Mid America 02Fest at Eureka Springs AR, here's the scoop:

• MidAmerica 2002 Fest, September 16-19, has been canceled due to the growing COVID threat. Arkansas state health and UAMS officials predict the peak to come in mid to late September.
  • We will return to our spring date – April 28, 29, 30, 2022

If you have motel reservations for this year's event, be sure to contact your motel and change your reservations to the new dates.  Everyone is bummed about it, but better to be safe than sick.

As of this writing, Vintage is still on...

Cheers and commiserations

mike

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

People have a right to move on with life after everyone who wanted a poke has had ample time to get one.  Choosing to blame/coerce/chastise those who chose not to get vaccinated (their right) for Big Brother keeping things shut down is a pretty dumb view.   They chose the risk of their own free will, you don't get to take the free will of others in order to indefinitely coddle them.

-Gets off soap box.

• Like 1

Andrew I would have whole heartedly been on your side before the delta variant came calling and so many people didn't get the shots so we are all suffering  because of the anti vacsers now it's spreading at warp speed everywhere, the more cases there are the greater chance of getting a new variant that we may be unable t control at all. 

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

54 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

Choosing to blame/coerce/chastise those who chose not to get vaccinated (their right) for Big Brother keeping things shut down is a pretty dumb view. 

I can think of another one !!

• Haha 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

49 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

you don't get to take the free will of others

In almost all civilized countries, you also don't get to jeopardize the wellbeing of others just because you want to exercise your "free will".  You can't send your children to school unless they have been vaccinated against the most common childhood diseases.  You don't get to smoke in a public building just because you need a hit.  You can't drink until you are sotted and then weave your way home in your car.  Most societal rules (laws) are designed not just to protect the individual but to protect the community at large.  You certainly can exercise your "free will" when it comes to your own wellbeing.  If your decision has profound, immediate potential to cause illness and death in those with whom you share the same space on earth, but you still insist on doing it, then you are at least incredibly selfish and irresponsible.  Though if you listen to the excuses of the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers, you would have to conclude that there is at least a modicum of "dumb" associated with their decision.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

39 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Big Brother keeping things shut down is a pretty dumb view. 

Yeah, I'm sure they are digging the hugely reduced tax income and the huge outlay of money to keep people housed and feed, it's a sure fired recipe for success?.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

^^Relying on tax income is so 20th century.

Also, quick zinger come backs are like little chocolates that taste good at the time but will add up to give you a stomach ache.

1 hour ago, halboyles said:

In almost all civilized countries, you also don't get to jeopardize the wellbeing of others just because you want to exercise your "free will".  You can't send your children to school unless they have been vaccinated against the most common childhood diseases.  You don't get to smoke in a public building just because you need a hit.  You can't drink until you are sotted and then weave your way home in your car.  Most societal rules (laws) are designed not just to protect the individual but to protect the community at large.  You certainly can exercise your "free will" when it comes to your own wellbeing.  If your decision has profound, immediate potential to cause illness and death in those with whom you share the same space on earth, but you still insist on doing it, then you are at least incredibly selfish and irresponsible.  Though if you listen to the excuses of the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers, you would have to conclude that there is at least a modicum of "dumb" associated with their decision.

Let me preface this by saying that I enjoy a good debate among friends, and I consider you, Marty, and others here friends. 

"In almost all civilized countries, you also don't get to jeopardize the wellbeing of others just because you want to exercise your "free will"."  - Actually you can, at least to some degree ....  and that degree being what either makes for a free society or not.  Goodness knows it's a moving target.

Using a riff of your argument, consider that we jeopardize the wellbeing of others every day for the mere convenience of driving (something we fully acknowledge can cause death).  By your own argument, those of us who insist on driving could therefore be considered incredibly selfish and dumb.   Even so it ends up as an accepted risk and society should not grind to a halt because of it.

I think the driving analogy is good. We have rules in place we all agree to follow to promote safety. Free will does not allow driving the wrong way down the highway at 100mph. We have government mandated safety equipment and testing requirements. Even, gasp, a government issued permit to drive. All very communist according to my local Facebook commenters. 

• Like 3

Andrew and others, I consider you all to be friends, and I do love a lively debate, This thread has gone far enough on this board that we should start a like thread on the off topic section before Steve feels the need to intervene. Viva  la difference.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

George S Patton 

5 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

society should not grind to a halt because of it.

Society did not "grind to a halt" when polio shots were required, but the requirement did eliminate the disease.  Society did not "grind to a halt" when required small pox vaccinations erased the disease from the population.  Your argument about driving is a false analogy.  Most drivers obey the rules of the road because it is safer for themselves and others not just because it is the law.  Besides, traffic accidents cause about 40,000 deaths a year, NOT 500,000 like the current virus!  There is risk in just waking up every day but that does not compare to making a conscious decision to ignore the science and potentially infect others with a deadly disease.  If it is possible to lessen the possibility of causing illness and death in a few, or hundreds or thousands of other fellow human beings by being vaccinated and wearing a mask, yet you consciously decide to not take those ridiculously simple measures, then you are definitely selfish and irresponsible.  "Free will", "freedom" and "rights" do not trump others right to live without fear of being infected with a debilitating, deadly disease because of someone's laziness and narcissism.

• Like 4

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

37 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Andrew and others, I consider you all to be friends, and I do love a lively debate, This thread has gone far enough on this board that we should start a like thread on the off topic section before Steve feels the need to intervene. Viva  la difference.

Fair point, need to sleep anyways. ---  and dang it.  I have to self sensor now, given that I've been informed that what I say on the internet can affect employment.  I miss the internet of the early 2000's, please please please reach out if/when we are at mutual shows in person.

@Mike G Given you've jumped in with a decently snarky response, I'd like to hear your threshold point as to when you feel those in power start to tip their toes into that vat of toxic sludge. 

@halboyles,  I do want a better understanding on when you think the the pendulum should swing towards acceptable risk versus save every life.  We're talking past each other right now.