• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size copper pipe to use to bypass manifold?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

What size copper pipe do i need to make a bypass pipe?

I plan to go from the water pump to a short hose to the copper pipe to the heater hose.

I'm trying to get everything together before I disassemble the intake to replace the downdraft carb and i figured it would be just as good as the official 320i or 2002ti bypass pipe. right?

Thanks,

Mike

'76

Guest Anonymous

Ooo...

I think the secret is to use copper pipe, and solder a union on each end. I seem to remember that the water pump works best with a 3/4" union (about 7/8" od) and the heater was a 1/2", at a bit over 5/8" od. But don't take this as gospel!

So you'd need a transition from 1/2 to 3/4 somewhere in there.

And do make some sort of retaining bulge (I made an even bead of solder) at the ends, 'cause after a while, the hose clamps can slip. HTH,

Toby

Guest Anonymous

Assuming that I could find fittings (metal or plastic) to adapt the larger hose to the smaller hose, could i just run rubber hose instead of copper pipe?

Guest Anonymous

2002524158788382874538.jpg

Got a 1" heater hose to fit the pump and a small section of pipe to join it to the heater hose. I think they may be different sizes for different years.