• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii tuning questions (longish)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've got a 73 tii and I run it about 8,000 miles a year. I've been experiencing a slight hesitation when I rapidly accelerate. Its more prominent at lower RPMs. The fuel filter was changed last season about 5,000 miles ago. Timed and valves adjusted. When I pulled it out for the first time this year, it was idling really rough. I thought it was ignition trouble and did the remove each plug while she's running check, and cylinder one didn't seam to be firing. I went and filled her anyways, and TA DA!!!! she was running alright. So it seamed to be a fuel thing,

She also does a funny backfire thing, but from under the hood. With the gas pressed down and the starting cranking it once in a while does a FFFFFFTT!! (really loud), I had the hood open when it did it once and I saw a mist come out somewhere on the intake side. ?? leaky injector.....???

She is a bit gas hungry, I leaned the mixture a slight bit and it helped but not like the they say 25mpg or plus.

All and all she loves it hard and fast(YAAAAaa!) smokes a bit, but I just want get the hesitations out, and what the hell is that FFFFFTTT thing.

Comments greatly appreciated

Roman, 73tii, 69 tilux(engine goes in on Thursday)

Guest Anonymous

1. Kugel pumps will sometimes get a suction valve stuck after long periods in inactivity. They are on top of the pump, under the 4 allen headed bolts. That would explain the stumbling when you first pulled it out.

The valves are intake valves and are supposed to open to let gas into the pump cylinder.

If it happens again, you might be able to see bubbles in the affected injector line due to cavitation. A moderately sticking suction valve would also cause a hesitation when you nail it since the pump immediately increases cylinder volume and demands more flow through the clogged valve.

2. You should not press the pedal when starting a kugel injected car. The cold strt injector will squirt the appropriate amount needed to start the car. You backfired into the intake manifold. The mist was smoke from burned fuel, and unburnt fuel. The paradox is that a backfire with the butterfly open at least gives the charge someplace to go so it does not blow the DAMN PLASTIC TUBES OFF MY INTAKE SO HARD THEY DENT MY HOOD.

But I'm not bitter.

Guest Anonymous

OK I promise not to hold down the gas when I start. I practised doing it all yesterday. Further, what do I do about those sticky intakes, can you run som sort of cleaner through there or should they be disassembled and cleaned.

thanks Roman

Guest Anonymous

There have been folks that have posted here and on 02fly over the years who have swapped them around, found others from other pumps, etc.

I am not sure how to remove them, but check the archives 'cause it seems to me it has been dealt with here before.

Sorry that I cannot be of further help, but I will chime in when there is something about which I know.