• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Quiet Fuel Pump

Hans

I've used the Carter P90091 fuel pump for years on numerous vintage BMWs and haven't had a problem with excessive noise.  I usually wrap the mounting strap in an extra layer of electrical tape or shrink wrap to ensure no vibration transfer to the body.  I can hear it just enough to tell it is on.  Which is a good thing.  I also like the Revolution Electronics fuel pump controller for a safety shutoff switch:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334059928374?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=334059928374&targetid=1263433206134&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1020414&poi=&campaignid=10454522096&mkgroupid=120142078537&rlsatarget=pla-1263433206134&abcId=2146002&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAjwmqKJBhAWEiwAMvGt6BQn8vwgrxg6ZkstHkwVBaX8ujPrx26kvSMYS2h9O6IdvBzCC215ZRoCh4YQAvD_BwE 

Carter P90091.png

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

I've never really found a truly quiet pump-

the Carter rotaries are far better than the Facet and other rattlers,

but there's still some whining.  From the driver, as well.

I've had a moderately high failure rate with the Carters, but the cube

rattlers all seem to work.  Rusty, crusty, off a tractor that's been sitting

for 20 years?  Still works.  Go figure.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

There are the various in tank pumps, from the e21 and early e30 I believe, they are both quiet and reliable

PS it's nice to hear the pump on start up.. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

41 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

There are the various in tank pumps, from the e21 and early e30 I believe, they are both quiet and reliable

PS it's nice to hear the pump on start up.. 

couple pictures of this option are found here....

M20 Triple weber build x2 - Page 13 - Project Blogs - Archive - BMW 2002 FAQ

12 hours ago, Hans said:

any recommendations on something approriate that is less like a Woodpecker in the trunk?

I've heard that using a fuel return valve (Jeep style or BMW) reduces the noise since the pump is no longer hitting a dead-end at the float needle. Can anyone chime in with their experience?

29 minutes ago, Hans said:

Pierberg is not cheap! Any other comments on Carter relaibility? Facet still works but it really chatters away back there. Less obvious on the highway though.

You do have it mounted on rubber mounts, right? The pump needs to be completely isolated from the body. A solid mounted Facet cube truly sounds like a woodpecker in the trunk. 

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=98

http://sucarb.co.uk/su-fuel-pumps-spares.html

An SU pump is the quietest pump I’ve encountered.  Get the electronic type, not the original points type.  They’re expensive, but if quiet is your top priority it’ll do you right.   Find a buddy with and Austin Healey or an MGA.  They’ll most likely be running one, so you can get an idea of how quiet they are.  I have used or installed every pump mentioned in this thread so far.  The SU is the quietest I’ve found.  

Edited by Tdh

5 hours ago, Hans said:

Pierberg is not cheap! Any other comments on Carter relaibility? Facet still works but it really chatters away back there. Less obvious on the highway though.

I ran a Carter 8070 mounted in the wheel well of a TR6 for a decade with no trouble.  It was loud, but at speed you couldn’t hear it.  I bet I but 60k miles on it.  Rock solid.