• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Column Universal Joint

Gurmail

Happy Labor Day to all,

I had completed the replacement of the flex joint in the steering column and noticed a braided copper cable connected between two consecutive nuts on either side of the joint, as seen on the right side of the attached picture. I couldn't locate it in the steering column diagram.

Does anyone know the purpose of the cable?

Thanks,

Gurmail

Steering Box.jpeg

1968 BMW 1600

I gotta ask--what's that unsupported metal line (with union) crossing over the steering box?  If that's a brake line, it should be supported; the weight of that union plus car vibrations will eventually cause a fracture...or it's gonna rub against the steering box, with similar results.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

49 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

I gotta ask--what's that unsupported metal line (with union) crossing over the steering box?  If that's a brake line, it should be supported; the weight of that union plus car vibrations will eventually cause a fracture...or it's gonna rub against the steering box, with similar results.

mike

By the amount of thread showing, it's not fully in or wrong thread, or, it's redundant (hopefully).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

mike

Mike,

That stiff metal tubing is 1 of 5 similar tubings emanating from the brake master cylinder and it's supported at the vertical bracket of the brake booster (not in picture). It does appear precarious but it is secured. Someday I'll find the time to reroute the tubings and arrange them into a neat package. I'm currently tied down replacing all bushings and mounts.

Thanks for the notice and I'll check on extend of the exposed thread.

Gurmail

1968 BMW 1600

All good- I use that type of line too, and one end has a short fitting, while the other's a lot longer.

CuNiFer, he remembers from a different thread.

t

on a different bbs...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL