• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sahara '73 Sells on BAT for $35,900

Mike Self

Holy cow--a very nice carbureted '73, but not the "more desirable" tii or a rare body style.... this has got to be close to a record for a non-tii/super low mileage '02...and it's not gonna help folks who are looking for a parts car or find one that needs everything to get back on the road.  

How many of us are gonna be more fearful of driving our 02's regularly?

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I was wondering how this one would do.

While it’s a pretty clean example of a roundie, it is Sahara, it has some heinous front seats, the homemade wooden panels in the center console are meh, and the engine compartment has been painted black amongst other things…

who woulda thunk.

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

I do not understand the 'logic' of repainting the car and not including the trunk and engine bay.

Nor do I understand the logic of paying $35,900 for it.

BAT Buyers continue to amaze me.

• Like 6

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 9/6/2021 at 8:50 AM, Mike Self said:

and it's not gonna help folks who are looking for a parts car or find one that needs everything to get back on the road. 

Those of us who've hoarded parts when they were inexpensive are only going to get more "cagey".  And, those of us who've been driving the cars daily are going to have second thoughts about doing so. All of this takes a lot of fun out of the hobby. I saw this happen first hand with the Porsche 356, 912 and 911. This is the point I've been trying to highlight all along. It's all getting insane and ridiculous. And, pretty soon a lot of the current owners will be forced out of the hobby.

My 1969 1600 was one of the 300+ cars in attendance for the 2002 Haus gathering in San Louis Obispo in 2002. Some people were selling parts, and one of my friends grabbed a very clean swan neck mirror for $8 while another guy I know purchased a 2002 Targa project car for $1,500. Look what has happened since then ? 

A very clean Porsche 912 cost between $5K - $8K back then. The same car is $40K + now. A lot of the people entering the hobby now are from a very different socio-economic strata. In Los Angeles the 912s have been bought up by young Yuppie "Professionals" for whom it is a bargain in comparison to a short wheel base $225K 911 from the same era. I went to one of their Cars & Coffee events and swore I will never go to another again. 

I'm a driving anachronism as I scurry around town in my 02s. While for me it's all business as normal as it always was since I started driving these things back in 1982, the reactions from other drivers and people have changed. Now, they stare at me and ask about my car which has become an object of curiosity. This reminds me of when I was a kid living in a village in the the Dinaric Alps of the Balkans. Taking the sheep out to pasture was just an everyday chore. But, I was a curiosity for the hikers and tourists from Western Europe and the US. They would sometimes take pictures of me and my flock. That's what people are doing with my 02s, now. 

Edited by Autostrada
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, Autostrada said:

Those of us who've hoarded parts when they were inexpensive are only going to get more "cagey".  And, those of us who've been driving the cars daily are going to have second thoughts about doing so. All of this takes a lot of fun out of the hobby. I saw this happen first hand with the Porsche 356, 912 and 911. This is the point I've been trying to highlight all along. It's all getting insane and ridiculous. And, pretty soon a lot of the current owners will be forced out of the hobby.

A very clean Porsche 912 cost between $5K - $8K back then. The same car is $40K + now. A lot of the people entering the hobby now are from a very different socio-economic strata. In Los Angeles the 912s have been bought up by young Yuppie "Professionals" for whom it is a bargain in comparison to a short wheel base $225K 911 from the same era. I went to one of their Cars & Coffee events and swore I will never go to another again. 

in a few years it will be the new yuppie professional that have bought up all the 02's only bringing them out to impress others with there expensive toys...it's very sad

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Mike — How others value other 02s has absolutely no impact or impression on how I’ll ever drive or treat my own car. I’m getting everything out of mine, not saving anything for anyone else.

Driving it is why I got it and love it. I honestly don’t care if an 02 is worth more or less to ‘the market’ from year to year since mine won’t be on the market. I’m not a seller, and I don’t care what’s being sold. I’ve already got my 02 and made it my own.  And I’ll be taking mine with me (in an awesome funeral pyre).

FYI, I’ve only been to BAT once, and I had absolutely no interest in it… but it seems many are fascinated with the buying/selling side, or with their car’s value, or with showing off their automotive trivia knowledge…

No Fears - Just Drive It.

• Like 7

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

wow, maybe I'll get me a $150K arrangement going with Hagerty ........ that way I won't be afraid to drive the '74tii around in SoCal traffic.  And if something very very bad happens, I'll (hopefully) still be able to afford another one if prices don't continue to go too crazy.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, visionaut said:

Mike — How others value other 02s has absolutely no impact or impression on how I’ll ever drive or treat my own car. I’m getting everything out of mine, not saving anything for anyone else.

Driving it is why I got it and love it. I honestly don’t care if an 02 is worth more or less to ‘the market’ from year to year since mine won’t be on the market. I’m not a seller, and I don’t care what’s being sold. I’ve already got my 02 and made it my own.  

Agree with you 100%...Although I don't subject my 02s to the indignities of road salt--don't mind the snow, just the salt--I still drive 'em most every day when the salt is gone.   Being old and set in my ways, after 52 years of driving 2002s, I'm too old to change!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

16 minutes ago, Mike Self said:
Agree with you 100%...Although I don't subject my 02s to the indignities of road salt--don't mind the snow, just the salt

Same same re:salt. Thankfully they still use sand in places around here..

To me, my 02 is priceless. And has been whether other 02s were cheap or pricey. Once you’re at that point, you don’t care what other cars are valued..

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com