• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Time Poster with a dumb question about VIN #s

Dugan27

... we should chart the times that red car shows up on the FAQ. It may correlate with a comet schedule. Or something.

OP, run away from that one unless it's really really cheap...

... which it's not. 

:D

This service manual stamp, dated 1974, is an interesting selling point for that 1976 car:

used-1976-bmw-2002--5504-20729499-40-102

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

well, the BAT after their fee and shipping would be more than even my stretch budget. However, I stayed up continuing my search and found a few other options. I'll try and keep my "hey, what about this car" to a minimum. :) Thanks everyone for your helpful advise and I still expect to join your ranks soon. 

Keep the questions coming, you will find no better answers. 

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

I used to post cars from 

PNW CL to For Sale  Forum as heads up for folks, will see if I cant pick that up again.

In the mean time, here's a 72 Riviera Tii on Portland CL.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portland-1972-bmw-2002tii/7374812690.html

Maybe more legit than Frankenred

35K and still "needs finishing" amazing...

00202_9zNrPqtCr05z_0t20t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

52 minutes ago, tech71 said:

I used to post cars from 

PNW CL to For Sale  Forum as heads up for folks, will see if I cant pick that up again.

In the mean time, here's a 72 Riviera Tii on Portland CL.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portland-1972-bmw-2002tii/7374812690.html

Maybe more legit than Frankenred

35K and still "needs finishing" amazing...

00202_9zNrPqtCr05z_0t20t2_600x450.jpg

Wow....that's sharp. Who would buy it for $45k and then let it sit for 3 years? 

• Sad 1

Asking $35k.  Would anyone take  $10k hit in 3 years ownership of an 02.  Seems like the $45k 3 years ago could be not true.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Assuming the buyer completed the transaction from the BaT auction:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002tii-25/

then, this did sell for just shy of $45K.  Again assuming it did sell to the winning auction bidder, it does seem this car didn't meet up with the expectations he expressed in a heavily "liked" comment after auction close.  I'm betting lots of 2002 owners take $10K baths after 3 years of ownership even in this crazy market (although most would not admit it even to themselves) as it's just the nature of this hobby/addiction.  Usually though it's when you add up what they've sunk into the car after purchase, not what they initially paid.

Lots of pictures with the auction you don't get with the CL ad.  Might be a really good opportunity, but given that $10K discrepancy between the BaT and CL prices, I'd really want to check it out carefully.  It also doesn't sound like the current seller is the BaT buyer just from how the CL ad is worded.

-Gary

Edited by AlfaBMWGuy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, tech71 said:

Only very unscrupulous  people do such things to an 02. Pretenders piss me off.

I come absolutely clean when talking about my 69. I have the front ti badge but haven’t installed it.

69 regular chassis

72tii engine converted to dual Solex carbs

74tii brakes and suspension

”2002ti” badge on rear panel

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

14 minutes ago, Dugan27 said:

At least the Grey BATmobile was WAY over my budget....

Going to call the Portland seller in a bit

I'd definitely read through the BaT auction listing description, study the pictures, and look through the 304 auction comments before you get too serious about it.  I suspect 250+ of those comments won't be of any value in your case, but there will be some that are helpful in your evaluation.

Although purists, those who would only settle for a 100% original car, would have a lot of nits to pick with this tii staring with the snorkel nose panel, it does look to have a lot of good attributes to that could justify at or near the $35K asking price.  A roundie tii in Atlantik is going to have wide appeal.

1 hour ago, AlfaBMWGuy said:

…. I'm betting lots of 2002 owners take $10K baths after 3 years of ownership even in this crazy market (although most would not admit it even to themselves) as it's just the nature of this hobby/addiction…

+1

100% agreed, Gary. People make terrible decisions, especially when they get caught up in “auction fever”.

I’m guessing the buyer of the recent $36K Sahara ‘73 on BAT couldn’t sell it for $36K, or even $26K — unless, of course, he lists it on BAT!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Also just noticed one of the final auction comments links to a 4-page thread here on this car: https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/231828-1972-tii-vancouver-update/

That's also something to study before you contact the current seller.  This is apparently a "Select Classics" special, probably the "restorer"/dealer here with the worst reputation of them all for shady practices and valuing the almighty dollar over everything else.  I haven't even read through the 4-page thread here yet, but wanted to make you aware since you were close to contacting the seller.

-Gary