• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Time Poster with a dumb question about VIN #s

Dugan27

12 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

You'r being wise to ask here.  I looked for two years to find mine.  

How long have you been looking and price range if you don't mind my asking ?

I'd like to keep it under $30k, and would go to $35k if it really sang to me. If I made an offer on the red one I'd likely go $20-22k, and despite the dubious VIN situation, it appeared well done, and drove sweet.  

Been looking for about a year, but life is short, I have the resources now to make it happen. 

18 minutes ago, Dugan27 said:

Is there anyway to find out what the original VIN actually was at this point? 

Dollars to doughnuts, the ‘76’s original VIN was 2740826, which, as Mike pointed out, is the engine number today. This was a U.S.-spec 1976 2002, manufactured in March 1976.

Here’s an article on identifying ‘02 engines. I’m going to guess that the 2740826 block was cast in February or March 1976.

RealOEM.com shows month and year of production for 1974 and newer BMW’s. Below is a screen shot from RealOEM.com.

If you go to bed with this ‘76 titled as a ‘72 tii, you’ll be chewing your arm off in the morning, trying to slip out quietly. ?

There’s a reason they’ve been hawking this car ever since the VIN change: no one wants to get caught with it! ?

Regards,

Steve

8F9D3682-B1CF-48DF-B634-989E3367D402.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Dugan27 said:

Hey! Thanks for the replies. Here is the car in question

https://sanfer-sports-cars.ebizautos.com/details-1976-bmw-2002-used-2761619.html

Again, I don't really care about them matching. I care about what I'm buying, and who I'm buying it from (less so). 

Body vin is in the listing, and here is a pic of motor he texted me. 

IMG_8470.jpg

Oh, and the VIN shown in the user manual is different than both! 

I know it's a square tail, and lots of other mods likely hurt the value, and don't plan to offer close to asking....but it was a blast to drive, looks pretty rippin (to me). PO told me he thinks the auction sale price was around $18-19k so if that's true I will likely have to ago a few $k over that. 

The vin on that block looks very suspicious to me. The numbers are too out of line with each other.

3 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Dollars to doughnuts, the ‘76’s original VIN was 2740826, which, as Mike pointed out, is the engine number today. This was a U.S.-spec 1976 2002, manufactured in March 1976.

And they slapped a Ti badge on while they were at it.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, esty said:

it only takes one smart or nosy DMV employee, in any state to kill registration on the red car and at that price any buyer is player high stakes roulette

This is kind of where I'm at with it....I could be morally flexible enough to look past the sleazball factor, but not sure if I could even get title and registration without playing dumb and a major gamble. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, coloincaalpine said:

The vin on that block looks very suspicious to me. The numbers are too out of line with each other.

That, Danny, is called the “It’s 1976 and we gotta crank out these cars while the Americans are still buying them” quality standard! ?

It’s only a bit worse than my ‘76’s engine number (below), and the “2-liter guy” almost missed my block entirely when he stamped it “2,0”!

Best regards,

Steve

BB77C6E8-4833-4F86-8349-AE6D86D9D293.jpeg

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, esty said:

it only takes one smart or nosy DMV employee, in any state to kill registration on the red car and at that price any buyer is player high stakes roulette

also it poses potential insurance problems...it only takes one smart adjuster to discover the shenanigans and use that as the basis to deny a claim

1 hour ago, Dugan27 said:

I also am eyeing this, and bid twice already, but I expect it to go out of my price range before it's over.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-2002tii-61/

This looks like a very nice car, engine overhauled by Jeff Tighe!

Regards,

Steve

15 minutes ago, esty said:

also it poses potential insurance problems...it only takes one smart adjuster to discover the shenanigans and use that as the basis to deny a claim

So at best I'd have the headache of trying to get a Rebuilt Title, if that would even fly. 

35 minutes ago, Dugan27 said:

So at best I'd have the headache of trying to get a Rebuilt Title, if that would even fly. 

it's impossible to guess things that could go wrong or what may happen...and if you ever sell it, you could be faced with the scrutiny

all i said is just my opinion...you have to make your own decisions...or flip a coin

Whatever your taste in 2002's, you need to find yourself a quality 02 AND a quality seller. I've done pretty well buying used BMW's, but it's easy to get cheated by dealers or unscrupulous flippers. My best experience was buying my 73 2002 in 2017 from a true blue enthusiast who was honest and who badly wanted the car to be purchased by a genuine 02 enthusiast. By the recent auction prices, I'd say that I could easily sell it for double what I paid for it..... NOT that I intend to sell!! I bought a quality specimen.

Study up on 2002's. Make friends with long-time 02 owners. Pick their brains here on the FAQ, by texting, in person, whatever. You may be able to find an 02 expert in your area who'd be quite happy to help you find the right 2002 for you.

IMG_1533.jpg

• Like 2

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz