• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Keys?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

With the early BMW's the key code is not on the vin number. there is a tag (white) somewere on the column. There you will find your key code. KEY BLANKS are available at any good lock store. They just ordered in 10 more due to my buying them out :-). I think they are like $1 a piece. My good shop also clames to beable to get a key made to work any lock on a car, ie my spare door handels, I have yet to try this. If you need help geting the blanks just email me and I can send you a few.

Sam Schultz

Guest Anonymous

I tried to get new keys made at a local BMW dealer. They said my VIN (and keycode) is no longer on file with BMW. They are trying to get me key blanks. Anyone know if BMW in Munich might still have key specs?

Guest Anonymous

You won't be able to get a profile to match because the codes have been used for newer 80's models with different key blanks.

Use the locksmith.

Guest Anonymous

I just took my door handles to a locksmith and had them re-keyed to match the ignition key. It cost $45.00 for both. If you have the key to the car and just need duplicates, Max has original blanks for some years, and a good locksmith can get generic blanks for any year, as they are the same as old VW bug blanks.

Good Luck

Colin

Guest Anonymous

transitions.gif

As for the generic blanks, I know I can get them cheap at the locksmith. I was hoping for the original key blanks. They have a grey plastic fob with the built-in hinge. Supremely cool - for the 2002 that has everything!

Guest Anonymous

The white tag comes with a new key set and BMW stamps the key code into the lock housing. The code starts HB and has about 4 numbers following. The same is with your trunk lock cylinder only it has a different key code.

Guest Anonymous

on the underside--take the lower steering column housing off and you should see it. If it's missing and you know the ignition key also fits the door locks, the same number is stamped on the lock cylinder and is visible if you remove the exterior door handle and look at the inner end of the lock cylinder.