• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAT ..... '74tii for sale by Jack Fahuna

OriginalOwner

I really like the look of that car.  Need to not watch that auction as I could hit buy.  I don't know Jack personally, have never heard a bad thing about him - to the contrary very good things.  Seems like a turn-key (no stories) tii that is super clean, turn the key and go.  

• Like 1

Really nice car - the underside is spotless. The only things I would have done differently would be stock 5Jx13 steel wheels (or the "soup dish" FPS alloys for SpongeBob SquareTail cars) instead of the 5.5Jx13 E21 steel wheels, and to have done the upholstery in Marine Blue vinyl (from World Upholstery?) to match the door panels instead of the lighter blue leather

Edited by golf73
  • Like 1

The recent crazy sales prices aside and square light cars and Tiis not being my thing, whoever gets this tii will be getting a very solid car with a very good drive train and motor rebuilt to factory standards. 

Jack knows his way around a tii better than anybody I know. I've seen his factory spec motors built for maximum longevity.  He doesn't rely on the budget machine shops like many others.  

The transmissions and diffs are likewise rebuilt to factory standards.

Jack doesn't use short cuts or 2nd rate aftermarket parts in building his motors. That's why they last. And he stands by his work.

Edited by Autostrada
  • Like 6

Between the uninspiring photos/videos in the auction (particularly at the outset) and the big bumpers, there wasn't much passion or traction for Jack's Tii - bummer, really, as I can believe it's a good car.

Converting to euro bumpers is costly, especially if done 'the euro way' (meaning using early mounts and doing the sheet metal work required, rather than kits which plug into the impact bumper holes). Would the delta in selling price offset the expense? Not sure - though I'm on the cusp of finding out. -KB

74-tii-1-side-quarter-RH.jpg

74-tii-front-RH.jpg

• Like 3

I was helping Jack with this one...lessons were learned for what to do next time on a BAT ad.

The photos were yes, a tad uninspiring, and submitted when I came into the process. I tried to add more but they weren't that much better. 

And like was said in the comments....it's non a "flashy" color, it still has big bumpers (which I kinda like), and there's no 5 speed. It's basically Jack's ideal tii - those who know Jack knows he's not a fan of 5 speeds and he's very much a "form follows function" kinda guy. Well on BAT, form really takes precedence over all, and people tend to like 5 speeds and roundies. The car definitely presents better in person than it did in those photos though.

I have the car with me now and it drives so dang well. As it should, since it's one of Jack's. I can't wait to upgrade the brakes in my 1600DSCF5546.JPG

Edited by FunElan
  • Like 7

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

I suspect this was disappointing from everyone’s perspective.

After $37K and $63K (?) BAT sales of less-worthy round taillight non-tii’s, I assumed this car, with tii and JF pedigree, would sell for at least $50K.

My post-mortem for the auction would reiterate @golf73’s comments on the rims and interior. The darker-than-stock gray steelies do nothing for Polaris. Polaris needs something appreciably brighter or darker for the rims. The first photo is Jack’s tii; the second photo is my ‘76. The late OEM alloys help, at least somewhat! At a bare minimum, add some chrome trim rings to those steelies.

And on the interior, the leather seat cover money could’ve been applied to new horsehair pads and true Marine Blue vinyl seat covers. Again, Polaris benefits from greater contrast with the interior. Get out the dark blue leather and vinyl dye: apply it to the seats to bring them in line with the door cards. The third photo is the tii; the fourth photo is my ‘76. Admittedly, as with paint, interior photos can exaggerate color differences. But please note that  my re-done spare front seats — shown in the fourth photo — were dyed dark blue over dark blue smooth and molded vinyl, to ensure that not only old and new vinyl, not only smooth and molded vinyl, but the entire interior matched

Lastly, I believe the piecemeal approach to the exterior re-paint is bothersome to many buyers. The differences in color — older versus new — are very very subtle, almost un-detectable. But these paints from different campaigns — 1974? 1984? 1994? it’s unclear — will likely age differently, and color differences will increase. And this assumes the clear-coat on the various vintages of Polaris does not deteriorate on the older examples…. 

My ‘76’s Polaris (the PVC frei version, just like this tii began with) began failing with upper panels, ca. 1980. But every still-original-paint panel eventually failed, even though the car spent its entire life garaged. And, re-painted panels, even though re-painted in Glasurit by BMW dealers — front fenders and nosepiece re-painted after a 1978 accident, top of driver’s door re-painted ca. 1979 after the outside mirror was broken off, and the right rear quarter panel, re-painted twice, after (1.) I kissed a deer, and (2.) I kissed a guardrail in a snowstorm — also eventually failed, and matched the factory paint less with each passing day. Piecemeal re-painting is a short-term fix.

This is my two cents. Un-solicited, and simply my opinion.

Best regards,

Steve

F5C1CB28-57FF-4A21-8B63-D6991C4FB592.jpeg

0FF1E555-587E-48A8-9600-9EF5B639A898.jpeg

FE8D215B-B21C-4E8D-843B-0F3097F70AFD.png

BEA928E7-7901-4B28-BBB0-B867D0E5B816.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)