• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More pictures of high comp. engine build

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

spngbob2.jpg

This one shows the head stud set and how high 11:1 pistons come up.

studs.jpg

This one shows how we removed the counterweights of the rod to lighten the rotating assy.

rockers.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Looks like a nice job. Since I might be looking for an engine rebuild who knows when, it'd be nice to have some people to go for when i do need it. So please tell me what your up to, that would be cool.

Thanks, Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

Can't really make out the edges in the pic, but if those are straight from JE or whomever, there are lots of sharp edges on the tops of those slugs. I'm not an engineer or anything but the concept of sharp edges impeeding the smooth flow of the flame front (or impeding ignition of the end gas on the other side of an edge) is not too difficult for me to understand.

BTW nice pics!!!

Guest Anonymous

I've built a few domestic V8s, mostly drag racing stuff. About two years ago I started rebuilding 02 motors. They're really not that difficult all in all and I've had really good results. Other 02 owners liked what I was doing and have asked me to work on their cars. This motor is for Eero Maki's Track car. He is going to bring it to Grassroots Motorsports Dyno day the end of this month. So I guess we'll see for sure whether I know my ass from my elbow. :)

The key is having a good machine shop that wants to work with you. They're Venolia and Deves(sp) rings.

Guest Anonymous

I'm from good ol rainy seattle =) Nice looking engine though. One day when I have the money =)

I'm actually trying to get into gokart racing this summer (and i'm a college student) so my funds are going to be mostly spent on that. Who knows though.

later,

Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

With Cast pistons I would say yes hot spots would be an issue on an 11 to 1 piston and I would shave off the edges but I wouldn't use a cast piston with that high of compression ratio and don't think forged pistons suffer from that problem.

Guest Anonymous

Chris built a motor for his 02 daily driver a while back. He winds the piss out of that thing (like to 8 grand!!!), on a fairly regular basis on his 120 mile plus daily commute. That thing is still holding together fine after almost 50 thousand miles of this. So I figure he must know what he's doing. A prospective customer should call him on his cell phone during his commute. Sounds like a buzz saw going off. It'll convince you. Yikes, those pistons do come way up there. Like scary up there. I can see why the guys at Ireland Engineering wanted to triple check Venolia's work.