• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

another '67 2000CS in LA

zinz

Price: $22500

Description:

NMNA

Looks to be a good candidate for a light restoration.  

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/valencia-vintage-1967-bmw-2000sc/7391475845.html

00909_e3o3U5jk7DFz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Do not torture me with posts about semi-affordable CS's. ?  My personal opinion is that they have one of the prettiest and most timeless profiles in the automotive world, and seeing several at the Vintage last month just reinforced that belief.  

Wish my wallet agreed with my heart, as this one looks like it'd be worth a look if I was in the market.  I wonder what happened to the fender mounted Talbots? All that's left are the holes and the need to have a very flexible neck. Interesting car, though, and here in the rust belt it'd be an automatic standout due to the lack of blatantly obvious rust or complete restoration.  Thanks for sharing the ad and hope it goes to a good home!

Edited by Bob D.
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Bob D. said:

Do not torture me with posts about semi-affordable CS's. ?  My personal opinion is that they have one of the prettiest and most timeless profiles in the automotive world, and seeing several at the Vintage last month just reinforced that belief.  

Wish my wallet agreed with my heart, as this one looks like it'd be worth a look if I was in the market.  I wonder what happened to the fender mounted Talbots? All that's left are the holes and the need to have a very flexible neck. Interesting car, though, and here in the rust belt it'd be an automatic standout due to the lack of blatantly obvious rust or complete restoration.  Thanks for sharing the ad and hope it goes to a good home!

Amen ? 

• Haha 1

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

12 hours ago, eddiewho said:

I presume that an original 2000CS engine number stamp of the VIN number would be preceded and followed by the "+" symbol, like on 1600 and 2002's. Anyone know if that's correct?

I don’t know for certain, but probably. @zinz should know.

What is your particular concern? I can’t imagine there are many (any?) “matching number” 2000CS’s with forged “original blocks”. What do the engine numbers themselves look like? Are they stamped in a font consistent with factory stamps? How about sharing a photo? I don’t focus on the “plus” signs because they’re sometimes lightly stamped and almost invisible.

What’s the casting date for the engine? How does it compare to the car’s manufacturing date? Is the casting date on the head consistent with the car’s manufacturing date? I would look at the entire picture before deciding whether a block was original.

I don’t know if your inquiry has anything to do with the low-mileage 2000CS in this thread’s original post. This beautiful car has obviously lost its original sidedraft carburetors and oil filler cap — at minimum. Particularly because of those changes, however, I’d be inspecting the block and head to determine whether they are original or replacements.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

10 hours ago, eddiewho said:

I presume that an original 2000CS engine number stamp of the VIN number would be preceded and followed by the "+" symbol, like on 1600 and 2002's. Anyone know if that's correct?

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

probably. @zinz should know.

My engine block has matching numbers to the VIN, but it does not have the "+" symbols at all.  There are some circular marks where the "+" would be... I never noticed it before.  I've painted the block and somewhat obscured those circular marks.  Here's a picture.

B12446AF-998B-416F-BC76-72DD2D408AAA.jpeg

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, zinz said:

My engine block has matching numbers to the VIN, but it does not have the "+" symbols at all.  There are some circular marks where the "+" would be... I never noticed it before.  I've painted the block and somewhat obscured those circular marks.  Here's a picture.

B12446AF-998B-416F-BC76-72DD2D408AAA.jpeg

Thanks, Ed,

Could those be small roundels? ?

I appreciate the quick response, with photo!

Best regards,

Steve

1 hour ago, eddiewho said:

Yes, 2000CS original thread engine stamp photo attached. The font looks good, but the area is in primer,

numbers are crooked, first "0" is double stamped. Sadly, didn't get the casting #....

My opinion? 100% factory done! At the right, almost obscured by the primer, is a partial roundel, circled in blue (on both the car you’ve shown and on @zinz’s — thanks again, Ed). Uneven numbering? Just look at Ed’s. Each number was stamped separately. Not all workers were equally skilled. Not all workers were equally focused. Friday after lunch was probably not a great time for… craftsmanship. Nor was Monday.

Only if the block’s casting date was after the car’s manufacturing date would I question the authenticity of this engine number.

Regards,

Steve

304C1DD9-3A1D-4412-B25B-332A06AE7A83.jpeg

949D231D-28A0-4249-81CA-CE1C0A011818.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Conserv said:

thanks again, Ed

I have another picture with my engine on the stand that I can blow up on my phone and the circles could be simple Roundels, but it is very hard to determine.  I tried to attach it here, but the resolution is not good enough.  I agree with you that the engine with the red primer appears to have the same circular stamp as mine and is likely the original block for that car (if it matches the VIN).  

The car for sale appears to have had the Solexes and big air box at one time.  The mounting points on the steel bracket that also holds the fuse box (missing the NLA fuse box cover, by the way)... the mounting point for the air box has the paint worn away.  I can attest that the airbox mounting bracket will wear on that spot.  

It appears to be a good car from what I've seen.  It has been repainted (overspray on strut bearings and strut bearing acorn nuts).  Overspray also seen on the wiper-washer lines under the cowl along the firewall.  

Ed

• Like 1