• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter Rebuild Kit

Shiparino

22 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I used JBWeld to install the bronze in the sloppy tube.

... and that's what failed.

I took it apart yesterday and learned that the bronze bushings are still in good shape, but the epoxy had degraded and the bushings were flopping around inside the worn out tube at the bottom of the shift lever; so, I cut that end off and made a new one that is a little longer to suit the pin length. 

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

I also added some length below the ball to shorten the throw up top.  

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG

I pushed the pin out of the coupler at the transmission shift shaft; with an inch-thick block of wood between the coupler and the tunnel to absorb the impact.  The bushings I had added to that part were loose as well, but I'm replacing it with one in my stash of fresh-used-parts from @Solarphil:)   I'm guessing mine is original and Phil's is a more recent example. 

IMG_1649.JPG

It fits the link nicely and I added a washer to remove slop to the E-clip.  I also cut a foam plug for the inside.

IMG_1647.JPG

I was happy to see that the front mounting blocks were still in good shape and smeared some silicone grease over the rubber to protect it from oil.  I did the same thing to the rubber bushing at the bottom of the shift tower support arm.  

IMG_1646.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

I'm glad I participated in this thread.  It inspired me to get off my butt and get under the car.  It's time for a test drive!

Tom

• Like 4

Hey Tom, glad to hear that stash continues to live on.  Funny thing is, I’m right now in the middle of refreshing the shift linkage in an E34, it’s been fun thinking back to the last time I did that way back when on the 02, and how much has changed yet stayed the same on BMW shift linkages.  If that shift selector bushing was floating around in a box of parts it’s off the E21 5 speed I pulled from a junkyard in Snohomish. It had at least a hundred guesstathousand miles on it when I found it so I replaced all the likely wear items before putting it in Penny. If it was from the four speed that I think you also got from me then it might be an original ‘74 part, or close to that.  Glad to see it living on!

I will add that my one possible regret in refreshing that linkage was I upgraded to the Z3 short shift kit.  The shift feel and action is great, but not only is the shaft much thicker than the original - which makes it really challenging to get a shift boot over without tearing - but it uses the newer style push-on knobs, and the anatomical knob just doesn’t look right in an ‘02.  Still searching for a good looking push-on mushroom style knob….

• Like 1

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

35 minutes ago, Solarphil said:

If that shift selector bushing was floating around in a box of parts it’s off the E21 5 speed I pulled from a junkyard in Snohomish. It had at least a hundred guesstathousand miles on it when I found it so I replaced all the likely wear items before putting it in Penny. If it was from the four speed that I think you also got from me then it might be an original ‘74 part, or close to that.  Glad to see it living on!

I did not get a transmission from you, but this was in one of the two totes full of neatly bagged/labeled parts.  It did not have a pin, so I reused my old one, which was slightly worn.  I measured .005" at the worst of it.  The ball end of the transmission's shift shaft had a wallowed out hole at the top, but the new coupler fit up nicely.  The washer I added at that end eliminated a lot of play and the bushing that the shift link passes through was still very nice on that part.  Thank you again.  I love digging through those bins.

My shifter is only about 5/16" longer than stock, under the ball.  So, it is a slightly-short-shift-kit.  The shift knob I use is slightly taller and heavier than the stock one, so it compensates for the loss of leverage below the ball.  Last night, I put the original knob back on, to feel the difference, but I have not driven with that one yet.  I cannot believe what a difference this made.  I am SO glad it started buzzing, or I might have lived with the sloppiness for a lot longer!

014.JPG

40 minutes ago, Solarphil said:

I will add that my one possible regret in refreshing that linkage was I upgraded to the Z3 short shift kit.  The shift feel and action is great, but not only is the shaft much thicker than the original - which makes it really challenging to get a shift boot over without tearing - but it uses the newer style push-on knobs, and the anatomical knob just doesn’t look right in an ‘02.  Still searching for a good looking push-on mushroom style knob….

I've heard that you can cut threads in the e21 push-on shift shaft, using a M15 x 1.5 die.  I bought one of those, along with the tap, back when I was playing around making custom knobs.  I have not tried making a push-on knob.  The stock knob I have has a separate threaded plastic part on the inside.  The hole is quite large, if you pull that part out.  I wonder if you could do that and then make it work with your new thicker shaft.

Tom

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, so i bought the late model refresher kit for my 75 bmw, i installed it yesterday however the sifter feels very sloppy when in gear the shifter moves as if it’s in neutral. And i installed everything exactly the way i took it it. From what i remember my previous 2002 was very firm. What am i doing wrong here? Or is it supposed to feel like that? I will upload pictures soon 

forgive me if I posted this in wrong place. 

3 hours ago, Vana2002 said:

Hi guys, so i bought the late model refresher kit for my 75 bmw, i installed it yesterday however the sifter feels very sloppy when in gear the shifter moves as if it’s in neutral. And i installed everything exactly the way i took it it. From what i remember my previous 2002 was very firm. What am i doing wrong here? Or is it supposed to feel like that? I will upload pictures soon 

forgive me if I posted this in wrong place. 

I had a similar experience. The kit helped, but didn't get rid of all the slop. The kit I used didn't come with the Shift Rod Joint (p/n 25117503525) that @'76mintgrün'02 mentioned above. Apparently you also need to install those home made bronze shifter bushings that he mentioned earlier in this thread (thanks for documenting that, '76m!) to get it closer to how it came from the factory. I have yet to do those either since I am hesitant to dive back into that part of the car when I have so much other stuff to do.

End of the day, I've also tempered my expectations. I am slowly realizing that the factory shift setup won't get you up to the level of a Honda shifter. As my friend who owned an M3 coupe put it, BMW shifters are like stirring mashed potatoes with a spoon compared to better shifters. He's also very dramatic though. lol

Edited by popovm