• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAT Crusty ‘74 tii

Donnelly

I love the airconditioning setup on this. The frame rails are still available new. So are floor boards. If you find a competent welder in your area it can be done cost effectively. 

Rare car indeed. Only one year made for that body style 74tii and last year for tii. To me a square light tii is so much more desirable than a round lamp tii but then again they are all special. 

Love this car.

• Like 1

VIN 2782292, manufactured July 1974 (see last photo below, of RealOEM.com data page).

Here’s what gives me some concern. See first two photos below. Enlarge them and look carefully.

Two questions:

1. How does one damage a firewall, heater plenum, and lower windshield frame in this manner, e.g., frontal collision pushing engine back — a lot, side collision at the cowl, falling tree? Note that the Zeitschalter needed to find a new home, on top of the left inner fender! ?  Just to be clear, the firewall’s top lip is the least of my concerns. It’s the firewall itself, and even the water trough at the base of the windshield.

2. Why was this damage not repaired, but painted over? What else was painted over? I’m fairly certain that the black undercoating on the chassis is not original to a ‘74 tii. ?

The car is not Fjord. Fjord is an outstanding color. This… is not! I’m guessing it was whatever color was cheap. All of this smacks of a lipstick-on-a-pig repair and paint job. I’m not saying don’t buy it. I’m just saying know what you’re buying!

Regards,

Steve

DA5567A8-289A-4D2D-8917-86B6BFCC7E88.jpeg

D4587493-29A6-4418-B1F5-77290E8370A9.jpeg

289606D7-1C59-4505-8D9E-B97CE15FE765.jpeg

• Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Here’s what gives me some concern. See photos below. Enlarge them and look carefully.

Two questions:

1. How does one damage a firewall, heater plenum, and lower windshield frame in this manner, e.g., frontal collision pushing engine back — a lot, side collision at the cowl, falling tree? Note that the Zeitschalter needed to find a new home, on top of the left inner fender! ?  Just to be clear, the firewall’s top lip is the least of my concerns. It’s the firewall itself, and even the water trough at the base of the windshield.

2. Why was this damage not repaired, but painted over? What else was painted over? I’m fairly certain that the black undercoating on the chassis is not original to a ‘74 tii. ?

The car is not Fjord. Fjord is an outstanding color. This… is not! I’m guessing it was whatever color was cheap. All of this smacks of a lipstick-on-a-pig repair and paint job. I’m not saying don’t buy it. I’m just saying know what you’re buying!

Regards,

Steve

good eyes! 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 2002adventure said:

good eyes! 

The quality of the masking in this cowl area, and thus the quantity of overspray, often reveal the overall quality of a paint job, so I always check this area out. In this instance — quite rare, I admit — the bad masking was the least of the problems… ?

Again, things are generally fixable. I’m fairly certain this is. But just how much are you going to be fixing? ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, Conserv said:

Here’s what gives me some concern. See photos below. Enlarge them and look carefully.

Two questions:

Regards,

Steve

+1 with Steve here - this alone would give me huge pause for concern - I’d also be very concerned with how much rust may reside in otherwise painted/hidden panels - given all the floor/frame rust - some quite likely is under the surface. As Resra said - a frame rail and floor pan are doable - those seem like the easiest parts of this project to me.

1973 2002tii Taiga

1969 2002 Chamonix