• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for factory fog light wiring diagrams.

tjones02

I’m looking for factory fog light wiring diagrams, early, Model-71, or late model, any and all.

In this reply an old friend of the FAQ shared a link to the 2002tii.org website, but that link is broken, and the corresponding pdf is not to be found in the website.

In this reply old friend Curt Ingraham mentioned that he had a copy of a ‘74 fog light wiring diagram. Perhaps someone still active here received a copy of that diagram from Curt.

Thank you all in advance for digging around for info,

Tom

Edited by tjones02

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

While at least for the fogs most of the instructions have you use a proper relay, if you're going down this road I suggest doing it in tandem with rewiring/upgrading your main headlights as well.  Easiest when done together.  I made a (slightly extensive but really good) tech article on the whole system including options for adding fogs and/or driving lights here:

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, the attached wiring diagram for special equipment was included on the Mobile Tradition Service Manual DVD.  I did not find this particular diagram in Steve K's April 2016 Service Repair Manual in the Technical Articles / History and Reference tab of FAQ, or in the print version from FaxonAutoLit.com . The key to this PDF diagram is in the bookmarks tab of the PDF (when you open the PDF in Adobe, it is in the bookmarks tab under “Survey.”), and it will show how BMW might have hooked up driving lights, front and rear foglights, and even trailer lights. It includes wire colors and sizes, and there is also plug #5 for the headlight washer.  Personally, the reasoned approach to foglight wiring that Les suggests above makes more sense.

John

61pe0024.pdf

• Thanks 1

John McConaghy

1974 2002tii Verona 2780988

1972 2002tii Chamonix 2761282 (wish I'd never sold)

Freude am Fahren

Tom,

I just reviewed briefly the "bung" thread from 2009. Seems to still be a bit of confusion about the "tap" above the battery and the one beneath the snorkel on the passenger side, and the "Fog Light" switch on the dash.

The passenger side tap (Grey/white) provides +12V when the headlight switch is on...parking lights and/or headlights. The tap is for the factory-optional headlight cleaning system (pump, washer jets and a larger washer fluid reservoir). There is an additional Grey/white tap under the dash. This is the middle connector on the 3-pole tap near the hood release lever. This tap is for connecting additional parking lights on a trailer, or whatever you want to energize when the lights are on. It's only protected by a 8 Amp fuse, so use a relay for heavy loads.

The driver side tap (White/violet) above the battery  provides +12V only when the High Beams are on.  This is the tap to use for Driving Lights (not Fog). Although this tap is protected by a 16 Amp fuse, it is recommended that it be used as the trigger source for a relay. 

The factory wiring for Fog Lights uses a separate relay, and the trigger source is a wire connected to the spare terminal on the fused side of fuse #9. This will allow fog lights to be operated only when the LOW Beams are on.

The "Fog Light" switch under the headlight switch is a dummy. The knob is just screwed onto the dash by a screw/bolt on the back.

When fog lights are installed, a Rear Window Defroster switch can be installed in place of the dummy. This matches the other pull switches on the dash, and is just a simple "on/off" device. I prefer the switch from a E-12 (530i) because it has a green light to indicate when your fog lights are "on". I have plastic covers on my Bosch fog lights to protect the lenses from rock chips, and don't want to unintentionally have the lights on with the covers in place...hence the indicator light.  The green dummy button on the console (next to the ashtray) is for the factory optional rear (red) fog light...required in some countries. This also shines green when the rear fog is on.

So where does the Driving Light switch go if you have Fog lights (front and back)?  I don't recall seeing a factory recommendation as far as location...however the  indicator lamp (if used) should be Blue.

Here are wiring sketches for Fog and Driving lights.....just to give you some ideas.

John

Fog Light Wiring.jpg

Driving Lights.jpg

High Beam Tap 1.png

• Like 1

...I don't think the fog lights got put on at the factory...

-but I wasn't there.

t

finds that fog lights light up the fog...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL