• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help, windshield wipers won't turn off

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

When the switch is in the off position, my wipers are still on. In order to get them to finally turn off completely, I have to turn off the ignition at the moment just before the wipers are in the rest position. Is this possibly a problem with the switch or are the wipers somehow not timed correctly?

Guest Anonymous

Man, I don't know. In my ignorance, I'd throw a spare relay at it or something. I don't have a car here at work to look to as a reference, so I wish I could do more....

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like you have a bad relay. I had the same problem. You can replace with a new "generic" relay from the auto parts store for about $5. The original in my 69 was a round "can" looking relay mounted on the firewall. If memory serves me correctly, it is a three prong relay. I replace with a 4 prong relay and just covered the additional prong with a female spade connector. Works perfectly.

Guest Anonymous

relay. On the early (pre 72 or so) cars that's a bimetal relay (electromechanical) locataed in the engine compartment. Later cars have a solid state combination wiper relay and wash/wipe relay in a black plastic box under the dash.

For the metal can relay, just substitute to eliminate or comfirm the relay as the culprit.

If yours is the latter, try substituting a known good relay to see if that's the problem. You can also take the cover off the plastic relay box and check to see if the points inside are stuck together. Separate 'em and your problems should be over.

If the relay's OK, I would suspect the parking mechanism, located inside the round tuna fish can- sized object attached to the wiper motor. There should be something in the archive on how to repair the parking mechanism; if not, e-mail me offline and I'll send you some info...

Happy troubleshooting.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I was able to take it apart and repair it with little trouble. One of the copper contacts had worn enough to touch something it shouldn't have been touching. A little tweak with the needle nose and all was well again.

-Jerry