• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strut tower spacers

SplitDash

Working on the project over the weekend and noticed these spacers on the strut bolts.

Any idea why they would be there ? 

They are a good starting point for a strut !

Thanks

Edit- I googled a lot of engine bays and didnt see them on any other car, just found a picture of them on another car so guessing they are stock.

PXL-20211107-093745993.jpg

Edited by SplitDash

read my post again. to raise the height they go under the wing. they've been moved to the top, where they do nothing. are you in the UK? I wouldn't mind a pair of those spacers for something I have in mind, so PM me if you want to sell them instead of chucking them ?

• Thanks 1

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

They may have been used because the strut bearing bought had the long studs for the U.S. market and whoever installed the spacers didn't want to have the threaded stud protruding.  Strut bearings with short studs are available.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

It's been a while since this last came up. The spacers were NOT just for the US '02s.

part # 31 33 1 106 059 (20mm thick) was for US models (1602, 2002, 2002A, 2002tii). I believe up to late '73

part # 31 33 1 113 721 (12mm thick) was for most 2002 rest of the World models (RHD & LHD) 1502, 2002, 2002cab, 2002A, 2002tii, 2002Touring AND US2002, US2002A. I believe these were from late '73.

All above according to BMW parts book.

Another myth busted? Just need to work on the E10 myth now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

So it seems according to parts book but it's the first time I see ones in a euro car. I doubt that they were never actually installed elsewhere but US, and maybe Ireland(?). And to me those look 20mm thick rather than 12mm by the picture.

?Not yet convinced about the busted myth.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Just spoke to a mate in the UK whose messed with these cars more than me (my '74 didn't have them when I bought it) and he confirms all the square light cars he's seen had them and would have said 20mm rather than 12, which is what these look like.

Learn something every day (if only I didn't forget two)

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

8 hours ago, 02Les said:

It's been a while since this last came up. The spacers were NOT just for the US '02s.

part # 31 33 1 106 059 (20mm thick) was for US models (1602, 2002, 2002A, 2002tii). I believe up to late '73

part # 31 33 1 113 721 (12mm thick) was for most 2002 rest of the World models (RHD & LHD) 1502, 2002, 2002cab, 2002A, 2002tii, 2002Touring AND US2002, US2002A. I believe these were from late '73.

All above according to BMW parts book.

Another myth busted? Just need to work on the E10 myth now?

Here's what I know ;-)

"Both designations - E10 and 114 - are correct in a way though E10 must be a retroactively assigned designation. However we never use it in the BMW Classic or the BMW Group Archives, instead we call the type 2002 and if we mean the whole series we call it the "Null-Zweier". That's quick and clear, no need to complicate things. Even in official documents the other designations are very seldom used and since it leads to confusion easily, we just don't use it.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

BMW Group
Andreas Harz"

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

It's understandable that they would prefer to standardize on a term that applies to the entire range of models rather than one that is applicable only to a subset. It's funny how some folks feathers get ruffled over "E10" but in contrast "M10" wasn't used to refer to the four cylinder engine before 1975 yet everyone happily uses that term instead of M05 or M15.