• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY sport seats in BMW 2002 - cheap and good looking

BMW02_Fan

I was wondering has anyone tried installing some of those Ebay sport seats in their 2002?

The price is really reasonable for a set (around $400)  and I think with some modifications they may fit well.

Plus they are brand new and come in many different colors.   

To redo my original front seats it will cost me over $2000 ($600 for new skins, $1000 for new seat pads plus labor). 

Used seats are are hard to find in good shape, I've been looking for a set of tan seats for months now.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393415437678?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D6420072915e8400b8e05e2b15836be29%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D352638098132%26itm%3D393415437678%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DIkon&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ae98c0805-422e-11ec-8114-0ab8bc923b35|parentrq%3A0a28b42e17d0ab9ca610757cfff3f7a2|iid%3A1

BMW seats.jpeg

49 minutes ago, visionaut said:

I’d try to stick with name brands at least if going for lower-cost new aftermarket seats.

I would add Corbeau to that list, good quality, good fit, decent price and the removable  

headrests on the sports are nice. They fit 02s nicely with available adapter brackets.

https://corbeau.com/sport-seat/

• Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I have been eyeing the Sparco GTs. Sparco USA - Motorsports Racing Apparel and Accessories. GT They wouldn't look out of place in a 2002, IMO. Better resell value if you end up ever redoing your original seats and getting rid of these, I am assuming they would wear better, and I would trust these much more in a crash. You have to wait till Dec since they are backordered, but "only" $450 each.

image.png

My worry about non name brand cheap seats is the amount, if any, that they have spent on crash testing them, you can have the best seatbelts in the world but they won't do much good if the seats themselves come loose.

• Like 5

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

We have all bought low end stuff, out of necessity usually. And we have mostly all been disappointed in the short run.  I would rather have ratty originals than, as henning says, "Isuzu Vericross"  seats. But this is from someone who doesn't even like original Recaros. They just look out of place to my cold eyes.

My .02 cents without factoring in the inflation that is coming at us like a rat rod.

6 hours ago, popovm said:

I have been eyeing the Sparco GTs. Sparco USA - Motorsports Racing Apparel and Accessories. GT They wouldn't look out of place in a 2002, IMO. Better resell value if you end up ever redoing your original seats and getting rid of these, I am assuming they would wear better, and I would trust these much more in a crash. You have to wait till Dec since they are backordered, but "only" $450 each.

image.png

Wow, that's a really nice looking seat for $450...I would totally go for something like this. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

We have all bought low end stuff, out of necessity usually. And we have mostly all been disappointed in the short run.  I would rather have ratty originals than, as henning says, "Isuzu Vericross"  seats. But this is from someone who doesn't even like original Recaros. They just look out of place to my cold eyes.

My .02 cents without factoring in the inflation that is coming at us like a rat rod.

I think you bring up a good point. I think the original OEM seats look better than anything else, but the cost is relatively high. I agree that Recaros and some of these other seats just look too modern and out of place in a 50 year old car. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 3:09 PM, popovm said:

image.png

That's really interesting.  I tried the R100 a while ago and it did not fit my back at all.  But this looks a whole lot like a Recaro LSB...  I'm going to check the dimensions and see how it compares to my LSC, then I might just need a pair.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

So if you don't like the look of Recaros, or a newer, more modern seat, why not just try and find another pair of recovered original seats?

I sold my recovered original seats for about $800 for the pair when I swapped to Recaros, and they were almost new.  I would bet you could find them cheaper than that.  

image.png

• Like 1

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

In my worthless two cents I would consider the factory seats (ratty or not) at the “low end” and almost a mistake.  It’s like the German engineers designing the first sports sedan (meant to be tossed in corners and put a practical smile on the driver’s face) didn’t consult with the interior designers who put the equivalent of a cushioned buckboard inside.  To NOT put a seat with more side bolstering in the car is doing a disservice to how the car was engineered to be driven.

That being said... the initial eBay Recao SRD knockoffs aren’t the ticket, style wise... but those sparco’s, or vintage recaros, or any number of the quality bucket reproductions (gts classic, BF Torino, etc) are much more in line with being a great fit.

• Like 2