• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stunning Squaretail Luxe model

fastricky

Beautiful looking car, though I am admittedly partial to Schwarz.  I did not see it listed for sale on Oldenzaal Classics' website.  Does anyone know what the dollar premium was for the luxury model back in the day and what exactly were the upgrades compared to the base? 

1974 2002tii Schwarz 

1973 Bavaria Sahara

1976 2002 Sahara once upon a time

Lux models had fancier seat upholstery, (real) wood trim panels and map pockets on the door cards, a center armrest in the back seat, alloy wheels and a few other items that were actually standard (Max's "non-optional options") on US spec cars.

And of course there is the "L" that runs to the left and below the 2002 emblem on the rear panel.  

On the subject car, I don't think sports seats were part of the package, and the wood steering wheel definitely wasn't.  

The premium back then was a couple thousand DMarks, or $3-400 US dollars over the standard modl, IIRC.

Mike Ura donated his beautiful Fjord blue 75 Lux to the BMW CCA Foundation museum--next time you're near the factory stop by and see it.

cheers

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

7 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Lux models had fancier seat upholstery, (real) wood trim panels and map pockets on the door cards, a center armrest in the back seat, alloy wheels and a few other items that were actually standard (Max's "non-optional options") on US spec cars.

And of course there is the "L" that runs to the left and below the 2002 emblem on the rear panel.  

On the subject car, I don't think sports seats were part of the package, and the wood steering wheel definitely wasn't.  

The premium back then was a couple thousand DMarks, or $3-400 US dollars over the standard modl, IIRC.

Mike Uro donated his beautiful Fjord blue 75 Lux to the BMW CCA Foundation museum--next time you're near the factory stop by and see it.

cheers

mike

+1

To Mike’s point, Lux seats in Mike Ura’s former car below: a corded fabric on the central seating areas and a mohair or plush fabric on the flanking panels. Driver’s armrest is a mirror image of the passenger’s armrest (not the case on non-Lux models). Carpet was also upgraded, I believe. Of course the standard square taillight carpet leaves plenty of room for upgrades… ??

That rear seat armrest drives me wild! ?

Best regards,

Steve

D5D7B364-F14D-4413-A131-FBF638EEFF4F.jpeg

3B0B5578-D2DF-4113-BFC0-4DF00E4FC161.jpeg

AF919759-9280-4129-8A55-25430A768B02.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

17 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Very nice car!

But the air cleaner is from an earlier single barrel carb car.

I think you'll find that's the correct air filter for a '75 Euro 2002.

The US market had the double carb requiring the bigger air filter.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

3 hours ago, 02Les said:

+1

Although I believe the dual-barrel Solex may have appeared on Euro-spec 2002A’s, beginning 1972-ish. I did NOT check this in the parts manual: it’s one of those vague recollections, correct 65% of the time… ?

Best regards,

Steve

6 hours ago, 02Les said:

You learn something new everyday.

But shouldn't it be painted semi gloss black? I was told they switched from the gray to black in mid 1974.

8 hours ago, 2002iii said:

You learn something new everyday.

But shouldn't it be painted semi gloss black? I was told they switched from the gray to black in mid 1974.

I’ve been wrong so many times on the carbed-car airbox topic I no longer opine.

What do I know for certain? My ‘76, and every original-paint ‘76 I’ve seen to date, had a semi-gloss black airbox. Part of the confusion could conceivably be generated by different markets.

Let me summarize my thoughts: ‘02 airboxes were gray, unless they were black… ??

When I see Ford blue, or anything but black on a ‘76, I know that’s just plain wrong. ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go! My 75 tii in Schwarz. The bits you can't see are the 5 speed dog leg and LSD. The interior was recovered with three Connolly hides in the early 90's after the original covers wore out (jean rivets). Had her since 1980 and will never be for sale...

Cheers

TY

P7071145.jpg

P8150028.jpeg

• Like 4