• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swap the 2002 for a new BRZ/GR86, am I crazy?

AustrianVespaGuy

Swap the 2002 for a new BRZ/GR86, am I crazy?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do I do it?

• Yes, sell and modernize!
    • No, stick to your classic roots!

Vespa, I am with '76mintgrun. I drive Lilli at least three or four times a week. Some what reduced in the ever milder and almost snowless winters here in Bucks County PA.  I have her Agreed Value at $35,000 with State Farm.  Been with them for decades, easy to deal with.

I try to make my drives more for pleasure most of the time. But a stop at the shopping center, parked 1/4 mile from the shops is allowed by SF. You are in GA. Do you have AC? I found I was not driving my E9 all summer, but with the AC, Behr that blows frigid cold, I am out and about on 95 degree days. Of which we are having more and more.

Haven't even hooked up the Becker europa as the older stock muffler and the engine are all the audio I need.

Steve

newer cars have modern conveniences and older cars have old car charm that new cars can't replicate no matter how hard we want them to

eventually we all need a "modern" car to accomplish a certain task or to fit our new lifestyle better so ideally you have 2 or 3 cars that can do different things but if you can only have 1 car a new 86/brz is a great choice as long as if fits your needs

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

I'll be the voice from the outer world (because saw the new one for the third time last night.)

Send it.  2002's are commanding retarded prices, yours runs great.  My wife is rolling a '14 STI with Ohlins.  It's very capable and very silly.  I drive my '02 constantly, but it looks like a nail- I think people are more afraid of me encroaching on their space...  So you lose all the stress of worrying about your car because if someone smashes into it, you just get a new one.

And what's the worst?  You hate it and buy another 2002?  You know someone on here would help find you a good deal, you dump a bunch more labor into it, and you're back at a 2002.

For reference, the s14 made 190 something?  My car is about 2500 lbs.  I'm at 5,000' elevation.  It's quick, it's fun, at sea level it would be fast enough to have to pay attention.

If you're not driving the 2002, what's the point?  If I didn't drive mine all the time, I'd be looking into a clown shoe.  But then again, like the prices of our cars, I'm a bit retarded.  :)

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Check the BRZ/GR86 community. From what I have heard, the rumor is that they are underpowered. 

If you are driving the Sub.Toyo...no one will 

1. Give you a thumbs up on the road. 

2. Walk up to you and say "Man,  I had one of those and I wish I never sold it"

3. Walk up to you at a gas station/parking lot etc and start a conversation. 

4. Have an awesome forum like this one that is actually filled with knowledge, collegiality and support. 

Cheers! 

Vic 

• Like 3

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

No matter how quick, and sled-like, no matter the modern conveniences, it is still, except when you are on the track, just another boring car, nothing more. You drive the 02, you aim and wander off in the Subaru. I listen to the engine and the exhaust  and the tires. No need to even connect the period correct Becker europa. I just like the look of the knobs and buttons and tuning bar. Heaven.

Steve

• Like 1

The real question is Why?

If it's just to get a Shiney car you may want to rethink it.

First of all the FRS/BRZ is pretty much a Miata coupe, I have many friends that own them, EVERYONE has dumped $7-20K into mods to make a good Canyon Carver, none are ok stock according to them and when done it looks like something for Fast & Furious, just think how often you see a Miata and say "Oh SOOO Cool"

BSWY8184.JPG

• Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

7 hours ago, irdave said:

This ridiculous Mazda MX5 shows what can be done with $500

Would you trade your 2002 for that? 

???

don’t get me wrong, I think the Miata is a great platform, inexpensive, fun to drive and a great learning drivers car for track and canyons.
Not to mention $2500-$4000

kind of like a cheap FRS/BRZ

Edited by chargin
  • Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

4 hours ago, chargin said:

Would you trade your 2002 for that? 

???

If someone wanted give me retarded money for my car?  Maybe.  But I've hit my head several times, really hard.  I seldom like people coming up to me to talk about my car- actually took the long way through the parking lot an hour ago to not have to talk to a guy that was looking at my car...  (I might build a rally Miata anyway, just sayin'. They're so absolutely silly)

• Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Are you Crazy????....

Absolutely! But I think everyone on this forum has to be a little crazy! ? 

I have posed the same questions to myself.... If I replace the 02, what would I replace it with? I really like the Formula used in creating a car like the GR86. I start to think about other cars with a similar formula and the 128i could provide some of those creature comforts that we desire for daily use.

I have 4 kids under the age of 10... so I need my SUV... the 2002 is for my enjoyment. From time to time I think about a more modern toy with a decent back seat because I feel that I may drive it more. My current list of "newer" cars to replace the 2002 would be:

BMW 128i

BMW E30 318is

BMW 318TI (with supercharger or engine swap)

M3 - Probably an E46 or E36

All those cars above are still fairly analog, but have some of the comforts we desire for daily use. Don't get me wrong there are other cars out there and other makes that I would consider. But I want a back seat for the kids....and I have owned enough cars to know that I enjoy the German formula and BMW makes some great options. 

But the reality is.... I don't think I could separate from my 2002. Mine is not a daily driver. It is my therapy car....when I drive it....and when I am working on it. For now I will keep it, and continue with my projects and upgrades. 

If you think you need a newer car, but you aren't sure about getting rid of the 02 or don't have the space. Maybe you can rent some storage for a few months... purchase the new car and have both as an option for the short term. If you really don't miss the 2002 then you can sell it in the spring or summer when you can fetch a little more money for it. 

Happy Holidays!

• Like 1

This won’t be helpful,  but here goes anyway.

I like cars.  I really, really like cars.  I’m about to turn 52, and I started turning wrenches on cars in my early teens.  Cars are so much a part of my life that when friends introduce me, they unconsciously incorporate cars into the introduction somehow.  I have no idea how many I’ve bought, sold, traded, worked on over the years.  My high school graduation gift from my father was a ‘61 Corvette in poor shape.  We restored it, and I eventually sold it.  To this day, every time I see one I regret selling mine.  I have similar regrets about several Porsches, BMW’s, an FJ40, a 240z, an E-Type, multiple series Land Rovers…I can keep going but I’ll stop here.  Guess how many really cool modern cars I’ve sold that I regret not having any more?  Exactly ZERO.  My Daily driver is an M2.  I love it.  I smile every time I get in it.  However, if I had to choose between the M2 and the 2002, the M2 would be gone without a thought.  

A buddy of mine who owns a business restoring old Land Rovers likes to say “New cars are just appliances.  They have no soul.”  Don’t sell your 2002.   It has more soul in its lug nuts than a BRZ could ever hope to have.  

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 6