• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Warm up sensor/regulator for '74 tii

Junee

Your best bet is to get yours rebuilt by one of the rebuilders or buy a complete pump as most are not willing to separate the warm up regulator from the pump.

If yours is not extending it is likely just stuck from crud over the years due to lack of regular coolant changes or inactivity.  You may try lubricating the piston and extending it manually with the factory tool and cleaning it to see if that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your reply. The car hasn't been driven much in nearly two years and it used to be a daily driver. I also live on a gravel road so inactivity and grime could very well be the problem. Will remove the part and do as you suggest. One question: is the aux air on cold warm-up supposed to draw around the top shaft? Problem at present is, it's drawing aux air around the shaft after engine warming and causing extreme lean run.

• 1 month later...

Update: We did as you suggested, switched out a plugged hose and cleared a metal T fitting. Car runs WAY better, no longer bucking horribly, but still sucking a wee bit of auxiliary air so not a perfect fix yet, which affects mpg. Eventually I expect I will have to find a rebuilder. Is there a list of recommended rebuilders for the NW?

Gus Pfister of Pacific Fuel Injection (San Francisco) might be convenient for you. This is a very common issue — especially now that our tii’s are nearly 50 years old — discussed regularly, e.g.:

Because removing the WUR, sending it out for service, and waiting for its return, might put your car out of commission for quite some time, you might want to check on availability of already-rebuilt WUR’s from Walloth & Nesch or Jaymic (WUR’s seem to cost far more in the States than in Europe and the U.K.).

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Junee,

Give Robert Fairchild a call or email him. Here is his contact information:

530-474-4646 (Northern California near Redding)

email: info@fuelinjectioncenter.com

Robert is the grandson of Jerry Fairchild, who started Jerry Fairchild Industries in Southern California back in the 1950's.  Take a look at his website, such a wonderful story. 

About a year ago, I found Robert via my internet search and called him as the warm up regulator on my 74 tii engine was stuck. (My car had not run since 2002 when it was parked by the prior owner.)

I sent my WUR to him (as I did not have the special wrench to "pop the top") and had it back in my car, running great.  Turnaround time was less than three weeks.  Further, he charged me under $50 and that included return postage. 

Upon opening the top of the WUR, he said that there was a small granule of rust in the cylinder bore that was impeding movement.  He removed it, cleaned the bore, reassembled the unit and placed it in a pan of water to test. 

I am so glad I found him as Ingraham Enterprises in Arlington, Washington has a six month wait list on their fuel injection services. 

So there you have it.  Hope this information helps.

Cheers!

Gary in Enumclaw