• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My car ate this for Thanksgiving and it isn't pretty

NotCoolSteve

So I was doing some very spirited driving. All the sudden lots of knocking noises from the engine. Nursed it home. I was thinking I did something to the lower end. But inspecting the damage after I took the engine out. I figured out the problem. That little piece of linkage off that weber came loose and ended up in cylinder 4 which smashed itself to oblivion. I've got the parts and plans for rebuilding it this winter.  I thought everyone would like to see weird destruction .

20211125_164551.jpg

20211114_140225.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

hard to tell from that pic on this pooey computer- 

is the intake valve broken?

t

not convinced that that soft little arm could make all those dents...

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ah, you actually found the arm embedded?  There it is, then.

The oil on the intake made it look like the valve had chunked.

I've seen that arm loose on the shaft- and since it bounces around

so much on partial choke it does make sense that it could come loose eventually.

Bummer that it made its way into the engine, tho.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I wonder if the head could be salvaged by a good welder; fill in the divots and then smooth down. 

Too bad the errant piece wasn't brass as it wouldn't have caused nearly as much damage.  My Renault swallowed a small brass screw--one of two that held the throttle plate in place--and I didn't know it was gone 'till I removed the carb and saw one screw missing.   Years later when I removed the head there was no impact damage in any of the four cylinders.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 11/25/2021 at 3:20 PM, PapaG said:

everybody who sees this will run out to the garage and quickly check that.

I sure did!

What air cleaner was used when this mishap took place?

I use the stock air cleaner but adapted it to the small Redline rectangular air cleaner base that came in the Weber kit.

This has a cast-in cover for the choke mechanism, so nothing can get sucked into the carb.

Choke lever cover.png

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 9:56 AM, Mike Self said:

I wonder if the head could be salvaged by a good welder; fill in the divots and then smooth down. 

Too bad the errant piece wasn't brass as it wouldn't have caused nearly as much damage.  My Renault swallowed a small brass screw--one of two that held the throttle plate in place--and I didn't know it was gone 'till I removed the carb and saw one screw missing.   Years later when I removed the head there was no impact damage in any of the four cylinders.  

mike

A more thoughtful and sophisticated version of my thought: that should buff right out. In all seriousness, I'm with Mike. That head very well may be salvageable.

Sorry for the shitty situation.

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '18 328d wagon (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/