• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a tii dashboard fit a 1976 2002?

VietCat

Yes of course, they are identical and in fact all dashes have a cutout on the backside for a clock which is simply covered on standard models.

FYI all tii dashboards have a center clock mounted on them; that’s their distinguishing feature…

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

20 minutes ago, 1936spyder said:

Yes of course, they are identical and in fact all dashes have a cutout on the backside for a clock which is simply covered on standard models.

FYI all tii dashboards have a center clock mounted on them; that’s their distinguishing feature…

To bust another myth.............not all dashboards had a 'covered' cut-out. Below picks of two one-piece dashes, first is a Euro and the second a USA.

However, as you say, they will all fit.

DSCN2692sm.JPG

DSCN2694sm.JPG

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

So, its not entirely one size fits all because......... there were three main different styles of dash. The early three piece, the 72, 73 two piece and 74-76 one piece dash and each one of those different designs had different mounting points behind the dash. So, hardest is to fit a three piece dash on a one piece dash car or a one piece dash on to a three piece dash car. Mounting points are way off. Also you will run into the heater cable length issue. Safe to say that the mid point 72-73 dash can take the one piece 74-76 dash (still requires drilling new holes etc.). 

Yes the outside dimensions are all within mm of difference. but.....its a pain otherwise tii or not. 

Edited by resra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

heater control styles vary, too.

There are at least 3 types of early (3 piece) dashes,

only 1 2- piece version that I've seen,

and at least 2 one- piece.

They can all be made to work on different cars, 

but the amount of fettling varies from drilling a few

holes to switching your heater box.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

26 minutes ago, TobyB said:

heater control styles vary, too.

There are at least 3 types of early (3 piece) dashes,

only 1 2- piece version that I've seen,

and at least 2 one- piece.

They can all be made to work on different cars, 

but the amount of fettling varies from drilling a few

holes to switching your heater box.

t

I have the one piece dashboard, like the one pictured above by Chargin, so hopefully this tweaker doesn't have to tweak it too much.

I was able to swap a 1 piece dash into my early 68 car instead of it's original 3 piece...  I ignored the two screws at the top near the windshield (they would retain it there instead of the clips in square holes on the 3 piece dash).  I had to use older heater controls- the lighted 4-slider setup for a one piece dash will not work with the car's sheet metal under the dashboard even though the metal facia plates are the same size. (I mounted a rotary fan speed switch in the binnacle where it said "rear defroster") I had to use the original glove box because the mechanics are different- again the sheet metal under the dashboard dictates what will work.  The other screw holes in the dashboard a  matched well enough to work.  My one piece did not have the clock hole, but I don't think that's significant

On 12/3/2021 at 9:21 AM, 02Les said:

To bust another myth.............not all dashboards had a 'covered' cut-out. Below picks of two one-piece dashes, first is a Euro and the second a USA.

However, as you say, they will all fit.

DSCN2692sm.JPG

DSCN2694sm.JPG

The hole is in the metal under the foam.  My dash looked the same and was pretty nerve racking cutting into it for my clock but then I found the hole in the metal and all was well.  Now my 69 has a clock!  

• Like 2

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

4 hours ago, Carlos_M said:

The hole is in the metal under the foam.  My dash looked the same and was pretty nerve racking cutting into it for my clock but then I found the hole in the metal and all was well.  Now my 69 has a clock!  

Yes, that’s what I meant-

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams