• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Bumper fit

David Layton

On my 73tii, we have done the body in 'euro-sleek'.  I was working on test-fitting the rear bumper which is finally together including the 2cm too short impact strip!  

I am using the early brackets in lieu of the 73 2.5 mph version.  I slip the bumper on, secure one bolt and go to the other side to find that the second bracket is not reaching the other mounting holes.  I take it off and measure the gap between the inner mounts.  It is 2cm short!  On the car the gap is 84cm on the bumper it is 82cm.  The mounting point on the bumper only moves up and down.  The brackets were from one of the German vendors and are natural metal as opposed to black.  

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

The issue was the reproduction brackets.  (silver).  If you look carefully the single bumper side holes are about 1cm misaligned compared to black ones off spare bumper which made the pair 2cm too narrow for the second pair of body mount holes.            1389025500_RearBracketComparison.thumb.jpg.36db4a268cebce2c53f69afcf1a15150.jpg

• Sad 2

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

1 hour ago, David Layton said:

The issue was the reproduction brackets.  (silver).  If you look carefully the single bumper side holes are about 1cm misaligned compared to black ones off spare bumper which made the pair 2cm too narrow for the second pair of body mount holes.            1389025500_RearBracketComparison.thumb.jpg.36db4a268cebce2c53f69afcf1a15150.jpg

This is why I always prefer restored original parts.

• Like 1