• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's all this recent "Roundie" lingo ?

Milo

Well for one it’s certainly not new but since you asked…

Generally speaking, it’s simply used to delineate the major styling update that occurred for the 1974 model year. I suppose the term has more importance for those in the US as that was also the year that the infamous diving board bumpers were introduced that so many seem to detest.

Pre-‘74 02 styling is also considered to be more attractive as most consider the shape of the body when coupled with the anodized aluminum grills, chrome bumpers and round taillights to create a more cohesive, harmonious look.

Regarding tii’s, as they were only produced for three years (‘72-‘74) for the US market, the first two years are understandably more desirable as they are roundies (for the aforementioned reason). The ‘72 model year is considered the most desirable as they were equipped with a 121 head and not the subsequent E12 head.

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

And…

Tii’s produced 30% more power in period compared to a stock 02. Considering their weight, that’s not insignificant. Couple that with low production #’s and God knows how many survive today, the novelty/rarity factor is pretty high for those that care about such things.

Yes, a modded 02 can run circles around a tii, but many appreciate what a tii personifies/represents re: period performance and are fine with that…

• Like 2

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Four years ago I warned, threatened and cajoled a buddy into looking at and buying only a Roundie. He ended up with a very original Golf tii, 1972.  

Fast forward two years, just before Covid hit, and who is looking for an automatic(my wife can't drive stick anymore) with ac. We are 80 and 74 and really see no reason to endure the unendurable heat in these NE summers.

Of course we ended up with a '76, automatic, ac, 78,000 mile babied Chaminox we have named Lilli. Couldn't be happier, drive all summer, ac freezes the knuckles off.

One plus to the square lights. 02s don't have trunk lights. The big square jobs do the job and more. 

Steve

• Like 1

Does your roundie have a swan neck?

A long neck?

Dimples?

Snorkel?

(or a Dorkle, for that matter?)

Diana grilles?

Campys?

StretchnPoke?

Slammin?

HellaFlush?  (toilet with very bright lights, to the rest of us)

this could go on for a VERY long time...

t

chopped and channeled, tucked and Frenched.

• Like 5

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Carlos is correct - use of the term Roundie is indeed a modern descriptor of the 1967-1973  (2-door) cars.  If memory serves, I do not recall hearing the term Roundie until the 90's.  Having started in the BMW dealership system in the 1970's and subsequently the independent scene in the 80's, we simply referred to the pre-74 cars as round tail light 2002's and the '74 and newer cars as square tail light 2002's. 

While undoubtedly affectionate, the term Roundie is just another example of how language and word usage changes through time.  I think we all get that. 

Older folks, like Carlos (el Chacal) and myself, simply have no use for the term Roundie, or slick-top, or ........

'Round tail-light' suits us just fine ?

Roundie, round tail light, pre 74... Who gives a flying rats ass? Not me apparently.

I like my bigger, better, safer tail lights and bumper.

19 hours ago, 1936spyder said:

Pre-‘74 02 styling is also considered to be more attractive

By who? Pre 74 owners? That statement is ambiguous and probably, most likely, maybe, specious ?

Humans are so tribal.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 3

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris