• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's all this recent "Roundie" lingo ?

Milo

8 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Roundie, round tail light, pre 74... Who gives a flying rats ass? Not me apparently.

By who? Pre 74 owners? That statement is ambiguous and probably, most likely,  specious ?

Humans are so tribal.

Not by me necessarily; I own a Sahara ‘74 tii w/diving boards which I’m perfectly happy with. It just seems to be true for many…✌️

BD072FEA-82B5-4B09-8913-29CAD5C8D674.jpeg

895BC1E6-1099-478A-A85A-99D7ABA2CA94.jpeg

• Like 8

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Well, at the end its a "facelift" if you like, "modernized" with plastic parts to be modern and save costs. No, its no an evo, no extra ponies. I find the look of a square tail more modern than a roundie, certainly better brake lights....the roundie is cleanier, quaint but a tick more old school...especially in some colors with the diving boards. Old school is 1971 Chamonix tii, very old school is 1967 anything....especially if you look at the steering wheel and the dashboard...

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

On 12/17/2021 at 3:22 PM, dblinsqaun said:

"Flying rats ass"?  Haven't heard that one in awhile.  Too funny. 

Polite term:  "Rodent's rosy red posterior."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Like anything, it's all relative, and it depends on the perspective of the viewer. The term "roundie" has been around for quite a while, but its use seems to be more prevalent now  because of the ever-increasing interest in vintage cars as both and investment and as a fashion or lifestyle accessory. This is one of the factors that is driving up the price of 02s and other cars, which is a double-edged sword . . . . I rarely quote myself but see my earlier rant about the subject here:

As for the lingo used to describe a particular car, this has long been a subject of consternation in Porsche circles (from which I have been steadily distancing myself from for years), from the pronunciation of the marque's name to more specific issues.

A big split in the air-cooled 911 world is between the early "long-hood" cars of 1965-73, and the 1974-89 cars. The latter group of cars has long been described as "impact bumper" cars, which is both technically accurate and visually descriptive, but lately, this era of 911 has increasingly been described as the "G-body" series, which is visually descriptive of the difference between the early and late cars, but is technically inaccurate. Porsche designated the 1974 911 as the "G" series, 1975 as the "H" series and so on, then they went back to "A"-series eventually back to "K" for 1989. Therefore, the notion of all '74-89 911s being referred to as "G-series" cars will cause smoke to come out of the ears of anally-retentive 911 guys. 

But at the end of the day, it seems there are more important things in life to be upset about. You can take the opportunity to gently correct and educate the uninitiated about the minutiae of lingo and terminology of these old cars, but otherwise, let it go!

Edited by cda951
  • Thanks 1

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff