• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For those who have EURO version headlights

BobBreed
Go to solution Solved by bob02,

I went with Euro buckets from Blunttech and Tungsram H4's.  I have a Daniel Stern light harness with relays as my 73 did not have relays.   This still has to be installed, as I need to make a modification as my battery is in the trunk.    I like putting the relays inside the front baffle.

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

Be advised:

• twelve fuse roundies don't have headlight relays at all; the low beams are fused separately--fuses 3 & 4--and thus need two relays;  the high beams don't have a fuse or relay, so you need a fused relay for the high beams.  Hella makes one.
  • six fuse 2002s not only don't have relays, they don't have fuses for either low or high beams...thus you'll need two fused relays, one for the low beams and one for the highs...
  • twelve fuse squarelights have individually fused low beams (9 & 10) but no relay for 'em.  High beams are both fused (11) and have a relay.

So when you're rigging up higher wattage bulbs--or just want brighter lights, act accordingly.  I fused/relayed the high beams on my '73 but left the low beams alone, and that's been working fine for many years.  An upcoming project on my '69 is to add a couple of fuses for the low and high beams, and a relay for the highs.  And of course if you add fog or driving lights, you must use a relay or you'll overload both the light switch and the high/low beam switch.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 12/20/2021 at 11:44 PM, roadhog0 said:

Put US headlight buckets in and get some Holley Retrobright LED headlights. They're not the cheapest, but very nice! We'll see if I spring for a set in the 2002. I bought a set for a different vehicle and I'm very happy with them!

Those Holley lights look fantastic!  I've wanted more forward lighting in my car, but have brake ducts in my air dam where I would otherwise add driving lights.  Is the beam pattern different from the halogens as well as the intensity?

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

H4 bulbs have no direct LED retrofit!

H4 bulbs, especially the US version (9003/HB2, which are H4 bulbs with tighter tolerances), have filament sizes and locations that are within just a few thousandths of an inch.  LED chips can potentially generate quite a bit more light than either high or low H4 filaments but the LED chips are significantly larger in luminous area; any "H4LED" bulb would therefore have a larger beam.  But a headlamp specifically designed for an LED source could certainly meet SAE/European standards (if properly designed).  Note that since our cars were designed, DOT and European stands have been harmonized so that it is possible for a headlamp to meet BOTH standards with the same design (the e36 BMW did that with a Bosch design).

I understand the interest in generating more illumination from our 7"-round headlamps (PAR56) and some of the recent LED options really come up short in practical performance (unless you only need high beams...). But the Holley Retrobright might warrant some consideration.

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

On 12/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, PapaG said:

Daniel Stern will fix you right up. I just got some Koitos with Tungstram 60/55w H4s and expect them to be essentially state of the art in terms of brightness. 

I’m running this exact setup from Daniel.  I highly recommend it.  

On 12/21/2021 at 8:35 PM, Mike Self said:
  • twelve fuse squarelights have individually fused low beams (9 & 10) but no relay for 'em.  High beams are both fused (11) and have a relay.

Twelve fuse square light cars, at least the late ones, have relays for both high and low. Mine does and I've had it go out. Factory piece

11 hours ago, Ian said:

Those Holley lights look fantastic!  I've wanted more forward lighting in my car, but have brake ducts in my air dam where I would otherwise add driving lights.  Is the beam pattern different from the halogens as well as the intensity?

They're awesome! The pattern is similar to a HELLA or BOSCH H4 housing with a halogen but with a MUCH wider light area. I did a video of the swap and posted it to youtube. I have comparisons of both the cheapo H4 housings to the Holleys. Not my best cinematography, but it gets the point across.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

5 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

They're awesome! The pattern is similar to a HELLA or BOSCH H4 housing with a halogen but with a MUCH wider light area. I did a video of the swap and posted it to youtube. I have comparisons of both the cheapo H4 housings to the Holleys. Not my best cinematography, but it gets the point across.

That's a great review, thanks.  I have a friend that saw these at PRI and was amazed since they were so bright yet only drew 3A.  He got some for his 914.

• Like 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Located the source of my problem. Nice repair job!!! Also missing the cone!

New parts are on W&N.

9C2A7B99-CD0D-435A-A63F-00B5D79CD99D.jpeg

5D0CC03D-0189-4D6C-8AF8-B3CE27FAA75E.jpeg

• Sad 1

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

1 hour ago, BobBreed said:

Located the source of my problem. Nice repair job!!! Also missing the cone!

New parts are on W&N.

9C2A7B99-CD0D-435A-A63F-00B5D79CD99D.jpeg

5D0CC03D-0189-4D6C-8AF8-B3CE27FAA75E.jpeg

There's at least 3 different styles of reflector. Make sure W & N know which one you need to match your bucket adjusters.

001.thumb.JPG.40588afe5395ea9f6694ec2ef6adcbb6.JPG

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

To be safe I would look into a new set of Euro buckets W/N has them last I saw,  they are the Bosch units however Bosch brand name is no longer etched into the lens, all other E codes are. While Retro Brights..are cool looking they are made to SAE standard beam patterns which allow a great deal beam scatter which might appeal/work to some, but my preference is not to offend oncoming drivers. Alternatives I have found for U.S. headlight bracket are E code Bosch/Hella with city lights. 

Edited by Mikesmalaga72
add

Yes, just ordered them

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got lights!! W&N came through with new reflectors. Installed relays and fuses. Installed led’s for the city lights. Stock euro setup work fine. Thanks for all the help!!!

E4652979-44FA-41E4-ACCA-65B7AAECA7BB.jpeg

• Like 3