• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When was the last time you had it above 5000 rpm?

I've got a relatively tight, well tuned and good running "BMW replacement engine" w/ unknown mileage, a 123 distributor, original air filter and a 5 speed. 

Last time I checked, compression was measured at 160 psi +/- 5%.  This is a daily drive car, except for the last week or so during a snow storm and deep freeze.

Currently the VW is chained up and has been taking the abuse since it's better in the snow and just slightly more able to resist the %*&!$#  road salt.

Think I've read max hp is said to be at 5800 rpm, but I don't think I've ever taken it up that high.  How many of you guys and gals routinely rev it up this high or higher? 

I guess my driving has been tainted, growing up driving VW's I'm not conditioned to rev the BMW up as high as it's capable. 

Perhaps in the back of my mind  I'm just worried if I push the revs to the higher ranges I might damage the engine somehow but that really doesn't square w/ the engine specs.

I can honestly say I have never driven w/ the gas pedal actually floored. Am I a whimp? I think I know the answer to my own question.

Edited by 7502
  • Haha 1

Unlike most cars the redline on the 02 is not the max rpm you can hit but it's the max rpm you can sustain, IMO your not doing your engine any favors by short shifting after it's warmed up. 

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

22 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

IMO your not doing your engine any favors by short shifting after it's warmed up. 

I had that idea in the back of my mind, but it stayed back there. 

I'll make a new years resolution to ring it out more when I can get it back on the road.

If it were not for the tons of brine dumped on our hiways and biways , not to mention the foot of snow these past few days here in the beautiful  PNW, my car would definetly be in that range, It gets real happy when it does. Will have to wait a few more months in the meantime.....

oh btw the Webers sound soooo much better too!

Glad to see folks running 'em hard on the street.

On the track, it's rare we run under 5,000 RPM. Quick video clip of M10 dyno test pull to 8,000 for effect. -KB

(add: it's kinda weird driving home from a race, with the Ford 7.3 diesel spinning along at 1,600 RPM)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Man, isn't it sacrilege to not drive our cars in a spirited fashion? As soon as the oil hits 75c, I'm on it! What's the point of owning these special cars otherwise? DCOE's and ITB's come to life at 5k. If you want to keep it below 5k, go get a Ferrari and an AARP card!?

Bob

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3