• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When was the last time you had it above 5000 rpm?

14 hours ago, Mike G said:

a rod through the block would be plenty of motivation. 

That just does not happen. Good luck trying!

:D

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I see it a lot more often when driving my M42-engined E30...that little engine just loves to rev.  By comparison the M10 feels a bit more conservative, and most of the time I tend to shift around 4k in lower gears.  But my engines last a long time...

I did see 7k--just once for a few seconds--when the accelerator linkage stuck and I had to turn the ignition off with the key.  That was some years ago, on a 200k mile engine that's still working just fine.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I used to think the m10 was buzzy, I was fiddling with the exhaust bracket that attaches to the gearbox last year when I realized the rubber insulating grommets were no longer insulating anything. Fixing that took a lot of the buzz out of revving it high. I now hear the return spring of the rear carb at high rpms, gotta fix that. Maybe shrinktubing....

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

31 minutes ago, Furry Camel said:

This was above 8k somewhere. Super fun!

6303FB4C-175A-4C03-BC42-230C770AF2AA.jpeg

A little JB Weld and... :D

Well, you knew the risks! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Every time I drive it.  Granted it's the s14 vs the m10, but it was the same with the m10.  I left the rev limiter set at the stock 7200, and sometimes just use it as a shift indicator...  Above 5k is where it starts to make me smile.

• Like 5

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Haven't driven mine up to 5K rpm in 5th yet. Before the engine rebuild I only topped out at 93.7 mph across South Dakota from Kadoka to Mitchell. In Germany, September 2021, up to 97 mph with plenty more pedal to push.

1988 M5 at 5K in 5th is amazing! The car is planted & and confident. By the time to cop on the side of the road looked up from his paper work, I was 5 miles down the road. This was on 295 North from Topsham to Gardiner & South back to Topsham. My driving record is still clean, 37 years & counting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Every time after the oil is warm 4500rpms Makes me Grin 5000 RPMs makes me smile…whats the use in having a horse if you don’t ride…my automatic giving it’s  all on CofA.

C9C65A39-7A18-4EB0-9BF9-541884DB7580.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 7

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

3 hours ago, irdave said:

Every time I drive it.  Granted it's the s14 vs the m10, but it was the same with the m10.  I left the rev limiter set at the stock 7200, and sometimes just use it as a shift indicator...  Above 5k is where it starts to make me smile.

LOL....my rev limiter is at 7600.   yep, shift light!   that sweet S14 song from 5k-7.5k....ahhhh!

NOT running BMW engines near the redline regularly is abuse....

• Like 3

2xM3