• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When was the last time you had it above 5000 rpm?

I would have no issue revving it to near redline every opportunity I can get but I find over 5k the revving gets less sewing-machine-smooth and not as pleasing. Below 5k, it's just butter. Does that tell anyone anything? I've always wondered if the motor needs balancing perhaps? 

6 hours ago, fastricky said:

I've always wondered if the motor needs balancing perhaps? 

Maybe, like me, you might have a loose end or two allowing vibrations to transfer or the engine is not optimally fed/ignited. "Soft" engine or tranny mounts, the bracket/bushings holding the exhaust at the transmission, exhaust hangers, other spinning auxiliaries in the engine compartment (excess slop in the fan belt or distorted mechanical fan blade) can/will contribute to noise and vibration. The bushes on my exhaust were shot, transmitting vibration at higher rpm and the return springs on my carbs resonate at certain RPM 's. I have spun the engine to 7k without incident, but have been spending time addressing the little niggly issues that contribute to unnecessary noise/vibration.

• Like 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight