• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner & Seat Vinyl

Yojedi8802

Doing a little research for my Roundie restoration and need some help with headliner and seat vinyl.

• Headliner
  1. is white the only available color? 
  2. anyone out there sell different colors like black maybe?

• Seat vinyl - my current front seats have this diamond pattern in the center section of the seat back and bottom cushion. 
  1. Is this vinyl available from BMW or even a non-BMW source? 
  2. How many original color choices was there from BMW?

GoLiners does a black one.

I have an '02 with black carpet, black seats & door panels and black headliner........................bloody stupid! Like sitting in a tunnel.

• Haha 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

12 minutes ago, 02Les said:

GoLiners does a black one.

I have an '02 with black carpet, black seats & door panels and black headliner........................bloody stupid! Like sitting in a tunnel.

You the man ?

Do they have a website?

Yes, all 02's came with a white headliner.

dtechparts.com says they have black headliners but no pictures. There are a some black headliners on Ebay, they don't show any installed pictures either.

I don't think BMW has the vinyl for these cars anymore. Walloth and Nesch has some of the seat material and world upholstery does too. Lots of companies make reproduction seat covers but the material is usually different.

There were a lot of interior colors  and different materials over the span of the 02's. The more common colors are: beige, black, blue and grey. There were also brown ones on earlier cars. There were many different types of vinyl and cloth used over the years.

Here's a picture of one of the exterior and interior color charts from bmw, not sure what year it's from.

119s27m.jpg.b3dca8f08637565dd3aba40624531ae7.jpg.53859e425ae2c95cc1b2b301ad605fcc.jpg

Edited by 2002iii
  • Like 1

AFAIK no one reproduces the original "waffle pattern" vinyl that is used in the center sections of both front and back seats on roundies.  Almost all US spec roundies came with vinyl upholstery because Max Hoffman ordered 'em that way (additional importer profit as vinyl was optional). 

Squarelights use a somewhat different pattern for those vinyl center sections, and in colors that weren't used on roundies either.  But both the vinyl by the yard and reupholstery kits for squarelight seats are readily available...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The color chart shown above should be from somewhen 1974 on.

BMW has named the "diamond pattern" vinyl used on the seat centers of the roundies Flechtnarbe, which is about "braided-grained" directly translated into English. If you do include the pre-68 cars (and for EURO cars that is, US I´m not sure on) there was black, blue, three types of grey, twoandahalf types of brown and red. Red was regularly offered only for the Coupés 2000CS, but on special order was available in 02, too.

There are repros around aftermarket with this pattern in different colors, but sorrowly none of the available colors except black fits for BMW 02. For black you should search among the Porsche parts suppliers, as early 911s had exactly the same pattern on their seats - will mostly not be cheap but will also mostly be good quality.

BMW does still have repros of that vinyl, too, in black and blue. But the quality isn´t really - what should I say - outstanding. It does somehow look a bit faded or less detailed compared to the old original material. But hey, for blue you don´t have any other option I´d know of.

On the photo the upper half is, what you get from BMW today. Lower half is old material from an original seat. Quality difference is the same for black, that is also available at BMW.

538808734_VergleichFlechtnarbeblau.thumb.jpg.6d782956119508560acbe92a21400e5c.jpg

Best regards,

Lars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Can't belief you guys have so much details just on vinyl alone.  Hats off to you guys.

So after-market repros are fairly available in the US if I'm not particular about the originality?  Is this available from any upholstery  shop or just certain online retailer?

4 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

World Upholstery or GAHH for the vinyl seat covers, both in CA.  Search these terms here on the forum for much feedback/experiences.  Good luck!

https://www.worlduph.com/bmw/

https://gahh.com/interiors

To John in VA’s point, I just took delivery a set of seat covers with basket weave centre from World Upholstery for my 1973  that I am very happy with.  Prior to ordering, they sent me colour samples (leather) and a brochure ( for vinyl ) and between the two got a perfect match.  Service friendly and knowledgeable. 

• Like 1

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg