• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

W&N Stock Exhaust - any experience?

bergie33

I need to replace the exhaust on my 74 tii and was thinking of going with the stock exhaust that W&N offers.  I sent them a message and they indicated that the downpipe and center resonator are branded KLARIUS and their muffler is branded VENEPORTE.  I want my exhaust to be as stock sounding and fitting as possible, without paying $400 just for the muffler.  Does anyone have any experience with the W&N stock units, with regard to sound, fit and longevity?

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

You're probably gonna laugh, but I had the folks at Midas install a downpipe-back system on my '73 well over 30 years ago...and the paint still isn't half burned off the muffler can.  It sounds stock, fits (no banging or other unwanted noise) and has a lifetime warranty! 

I expect that my car and I will one day star in a Midas "Howdy boys" commercial someday--presuming it does actually wear out.  I've worn out several plastic clips and rubber hangers over the years, but not the exhaust system itself.

Might want to check with Midas...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I believe the resonators that came on the Tii had an oval shaped cross section, as opposed to the cylindrical ones on the carbureted models. 

It looks like Roger sells the Tii style resonator.  If you zoom in on the close up image, you can read Eberspächer  and Made In Germany stamped into it.

Tom

• Like 2

No W&N experience sorry, however I bought a standard BMW Tii exhaust about 12 years ago for my Tii, it’s made by Eberspächer, I’d consider a stainless Sebring but to be honest the one on my car is amazing, solid as the day I fitted it, and a nice sound.

1 hour ago, NYNick said:

I replaced the ANSA Sport that was on my car with another ANSA Sport. It's quite loud but sporty. I need to crank the radio but I'm half deaf anyway. LOL

A4A3D1D8-A4F2-4BCF-8F00-98C3D616B65A.jpeg

Do you still have the resonator ?  I thought about  Ansa  for my 02.  Any guess what the O.D. is. 

Who did you get it from if you don't mind.

Edited by jp5Touring

Bergie33,

I, like Sidneytii, have a BMW Eberspächer stock exhaust.  Yes, solid, durable, nice pleasing sound.  We'll know next week at a custom exhaust shop how much of it needs to be altered to make it happy and copacetic with the new 5-speed.

Larry

I have the WN stock stainless on my 1968 1600 Cabriolet & it's wonderful. Fits properly and not tinny or raspy, just maybe 15-20 decibels louder which is lost to wind noise.

IMG_3475.jpeg

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

1 hour ago, jp5Touring said:

Do you still have the resonator ?  I thought about  Ansa  for my 02.  Any guess what the O.D. is. 

Who did you get it from if you don't mind.

I'd have to look. I'm 90 miles away from the car at the moment. If you ping me this weekend I'll look for you.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

2 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

We'll know next week at a custom exhaust shop how much of it needs to be altered to make it happy and copacetic with the new 5-speed.

When I changed from four to five speed, all we had to do is move the center pipe mount from the old to new transmission...no other modifications to the exhaust system were necessary.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I installed the exact same type Ansa muffler that Esty has offered to sell.  It is so quiet that I assume that it must be the same as stock.   My car is not a Tii, so perhaps that means a different sound and a different type muffler would be considered stock.