• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

W&N Stock Exhaust - any experience?

bergie33

"When I changed from four to five speed, all we had to do is move the center pipe mount from the old to new transmission...no other modifications to the exhaust system were necessary."

Yeah, I did that.  Does not work.  Newly-placed mount still impinges on the downpipe-centerpipe flange.  

On 1/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, Dick R said:

I installed the exact same type Ansa muffler that Esty has offered to sell.  It is so quiet that I assume that it must be the same as stock.

It may look identical but no telling really it its the same as stock. Judging by the price differential, its likely that there are differences in metal thickness, coating, sound deadening materials and possibly flow.

That said, I have a non sport Ansa exhaust system on Survivor, so far so good.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 1/11/2022 at 3:03 PM, 2002#3 said:

Yeah, I did that.  Does not work.  Newly-placed mount still impinges on the downpipe-centerpipe flange.  

Understood--I used a U-shaped rear tranny mount so I wouldn't have to move the mounting ears from their stock location.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 1/11/2022 at 5:25 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I believe the resonators that came on the Tii had an oval shaped cross section, as opposed to the cylindrical ones on the carbureted models. 

The old ones were all cylindrical, but the tii type was longer and an absorption type damper. IIRC 118cm

Edited by uai

3 hours ago, tech71 said:

So, whatever happened to Bosal?

Used on my 02s/E12s way back when.

I emailed Blunttech to see if the exhaust they sell is OEM, and they said yes, sometimes it's Bosal, sometimes it's Eberspecher. So, sounds like Bosal is still in the game.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive