• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not Mine/No Association. 1971 Ti in Windsor, Ontario Canda

Dudeland

On 1/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, Conserv said:

Thanks, Pierre,

You’re certainly correct. I believe there is no question the “Canadian 50” left the factory as Euro spec cars (U.S.-spec cars needed to have their own VIN ranges from the 1968 model year onward). And none could be imported to the U.S. when new. I was simply asking whether any could have acquired sidemarkers once imported to Canada, e.g., in-transit damage — but before, for instance, someone replaced rusted-out quarter panels, which is the likely explanation here.

Why do I have such speculative thoughts? When my ‘76 was 18 months old, it needed a new rear muffler. The dealer had a pre-1975-76 rear muffler in stock, but would have to order the correct 1975-76 muffler. Without asking me, or telling me afterward, they decided they would simply cut out my right rear valance, to accommodate the earlier muffler. It still didn’t fit. I noticed the cut-out a couple days later and went storming back to the dealer. They shrugged their shoulders and told me the whole story! ?

First photo as it was from 1978 to 2015; second photo 2015 to present.

Best regards,

Steve

062B3B4F-09AB-443A-B6E5-F075E080695F.jpeg

54C9CDBD-7811-4AC6-837A-89E36FDA7F53.jpeg

Wow Steve! Did your car have 3 exhaust pipe holes through the rear valance??

Squarelight cars are so weird!

:D

(have some more coffee, @2002iii ) :D

Edited by ray_
poke, poke! :P
  • Confused 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

5 hours ago, ray_ said:

Wow Steve! Did your car have 3 exhaust pipe holes through the rear valance??

Squarelight cars are so weird!

I don’t know, Ray: I’m counting 5 holes if I turn those bumper shock holes into exhaust exits. That’s one per cylinder plus a spare in case I run into trouble… ??

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I used to ride frequently in my late good friend's TI that he bought new, I believe, from the dealer in Montreal. Other than being terrified by his reckless driving habits I don't remember anything about the car's exterior details or side markers or whatever. It was the 70s, after all..

But at least I remember the colour - Malaga.

• Haha 1

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

On 1/15/2022 at 7:37 AM, Conserv said:

You’re certainly correct. I believe there is no question the “Canadian 50” left the factory as Euro spec cars (U.S.-spec cars needed to have their own VIN ranges from the 1968 model year onward).

I have seen mph speedometers in a few Canadian ti's, - including it appears, Pierre's, but don't have any idea who (and when) did that conversion.   I just don't recall seeing side markers before.

• Thanks 1

1971 2002ti

12 minutes ago, mccusername said:

Canada didn't switch to the metric system until 1970.

1600Ti with correct steelies.JPG

When did the U.S. switch?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

37 minutes ago, ray_ said:

When did the U.S. switch?

In 1866, the Metric Act legalized the use of the metric system in the U.S. In 1975, the Metric Conversion Act designated the metric system as the country's preferred choice for trade and commerce.

Evidence it didn't work:

20220117_180953.png.a905d325c571615ef5f63496540955bb.png

Edited by 2002iii
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...