• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm BACK!

Delia

On 1/21/2022 at 5:53 PM, bavariaboy said:

Love to know your thoughts on the Ceylon Gold that just went for $37,500? The inmates are bidding in the asylum.

Steve ONeill

If you go back into the early issues of the BMW (no space) CCA Roundel - the two-stage metallic paints all failed within the first two or three years.  So, The Roundel cautioned buyers to avoid the jewel-like metallics, no matter how alluring.  Not only did the 2002s and 2002tii two-stage metallic paints fail (including Ceylon Gold, Turkis, Taiga, Polaris, etc.), but the E3, E9 and E12 metallic paint jobs suffered as well.

In late 1974 I chose an Amazonasgrun 2002 (with sunroof) from Williams VW/BMW/Porsche/Audi in Lansing , Michigan, rather than the slick-top Polaris Silver "demonstrator" purchased by my friend, Loren Dragoo. Loren's car was resprayed at no charge and Loren remarked the body shop removed several "door dings" in the process.  He was happy with the result.

The Ceylon Gold auction car in question, cannot possibly be the original, factor-applied, two-stage paint.  In all likelihood it was resprayed quite some time ago.  There are indications of non- original, filled seams above/below the taillights, for example.  Also it's hard to believe the nose and front apron has not been blasted with rock chips without at least some evidence of touch ups or respray.

The interior of Ceylon Gold cars in the US models is Black.  It's always Black.  

I could go on, but you get the picture.  In the the picture below: a (resprayed) Ceylon Gold 2002tii.  It was the 2021 First in Class Award Winner at the Hillsborough Concours d'Elegance.  It was also featured in the September 2021 issue of "Collectible Automobile Magazine." That's owner Chris Smith and yours truly.  Photo by Phil Toy.  

D

IMG_E0174 2.jpg

Edited by Delia
  • Like 4

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Welcome back, we've missed you, Chamonix is IMO one of the underrated 02 colors, cleaned and shined up which I'm sure yours is they look great. And yeah the first 2 stage cars for not just BMW but all makes were a monumental flop, paint technology at that time could not incorporate enough uv protection and flex to the paint for it to work long.    

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Now that's Ceylon!  

My Polaris 74 euro coupe's metallic failed long before I purchased it. And the respray was failing, so I  did a respray in an early Porsche Boxster silver with a dash of metallic. Held up for years. Only a Delia could not tell it was not Polaris.

And yes, Lilli, my 76 Chaminox 2002 shines when she is properly washed and waxed. That creamy white is much more subtle and easy on the eyes than Artic.

Steve