• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB - New E12 Head

Conserv

Yes, I recognize they’ve not cast them since ca. 1987, or something like that. But I’d be remiss if I didn’t at least ask!

My ‘73 tii’s engine has been languishing at VAC Motorsports for more than a year, while I waited for them to “get to it”. They finally looked at it this past week and immediately declared the head too corroded to mess with. Thank you, VAC: I’ll bet someone could have looked at it a year ago and let me know, since the block and head were separated before it was delivered to you — I, sadly, didn’t see the engine during the removal and delivery process! ?

Anyway, I have a used E12 head that we’ll strip and check, but I’ve been down the “old-aluminum-head” path enough to know that, apart from corrosion, there are multiple ways to kill a 50-year-old aluminum head, and starting with a new one would be nice, even if it had the wrong casting date for my October 1972 car! ???

Did I actually write those words? I’m certain I’ll live to… not regret it! ?

Please let me know if you have one.

Unless I know you, or you’re willing to use PayPal (not family and friends, but I will gladly pay the PayPal fees), don’t bother telling me about that NOS example your buddy has, and which he’s willing to sell for just $500, sent via Western Union…

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve, I have a NOS head in the original BMW box never been taken out. Just opened the top to see what type of head it was. I forgot now which type it was but from what memory serves it was an e12. I will look and get back to you if you don't find another. 

And yes, it is absolutely brand spanking new head. Not a cleaned, rebuilt, bought from someone else etc. etc. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 2:41 PM, lilmo said:

Perhaps get a 2nd & 3rd opinion on the corrosion damage . . . . . 

Thank you. I won’t discard the head, which appears to be original to the car. But I am personally “corrosion shy” as my ‘76’s original head looked quite beautiful — no ugly corrosion build-up visible in the open cooling jackets — yet had multiple pinholes in the combustion chamber for cylinder 1.

Those pinholes filled cylinder 1 with coolant, hydro-locking the engine and causing rust damage to the number 1 cylinder walls, which mandated sleeving.

Am I over-reacting to VAC’s death declaration for the ‘73’s head? Possibly, but given the investment I’m making in the rebuild of the tii’s engine — lightening, balancing, porting, port-matching, extrude honing, parts, labor, etc. — I’d like to avoid setting myself up for a chain-reaction disaster like I experienced with the ‘76.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Steve, it also looks like you can get a new e12 head at any of your local BMW dealer just incase:

PARTS.BMWINMELBOURNE.COM

Cylinder Head. E 12. bmw 2002. Genuine bmw Part - 11121262178 (11-12-1-262-178, 11121262246, 11121264785, 11121265684). Ships from Melbourne BMW, Melbourne FL

On 1/31/2022 at 9:35 AM, resra said:

Steve, it also looks like you can get a new e12 head at any of your local BMW dealer just incase:

PARTS.BMWINMELBOURNE.COM

Cylinder Head. E 12. bmw 2002. Genuine bmw Part - 11121262178 (11-12-1-262-178, 11121262246, 11121264785, 11121265684). Ships from Melbourne BMW, Melbourne FL

Thank you, Resra,

But their offering is part of a one-size-fits-all approach to replacement parts, i.e., “functional equivalents.”

If you order a 121, E12, or E21 head by the respective part number, they’ll send you a brand new head. But the brand new heads currently sitting in Germany carry solely the part number of the E21 head, 11121262178 ($1,800 list now).

Separately, VAC has apparently been down the “E21 conversion” route previously. Before I stopped them, they simply planned to get a new E21, and modify the combustion chambers and/or order custom pistons. Note: my 49-state ‘76 got custom pistons to achieve 9.5 compression with its E21 head — that was a Korman build.

I stopped VAC from their plan because I really want an E12 head on my ‘73 tii, and I really want to use my 9.5 E12 Mahle’s! But I’m confident we could have achieved the same power taking the E21 route. It just isn’t “me”! ?

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

• Conserv changed the title to WTB - New E12 Head