• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify these bolts

Markster
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

I agree, the 2 thick washers would go 1 under the bolt and 1 under the nut the only place that comes to mind on the powertrain/suspension is the diff to cross member. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

8mm or 13mm?

Bolts are measured by major diameter.

The diff to subframe are 12mm- and have a 19mm head.

I can't think offhand of a 13mm bolt on a 2002.  Which doesn't mean there aren't some.

t

detail- oriented

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I was wrong the thick washers go only under the bolt head, and 2 of the bolts are longer than the ones in the picture you need 2 12mm x 140, and 2 12mm x 120.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

6 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

I agree, the 2 thick washers would go 1 under the bolt and 1 under the nut the only place that comes to mind on the powertrain/suspension is the diff to cross member. 

Are you sure there’s a washer under both the bolt head and nut….? (I’ve yet to see that.)

Separately, I’m going to guess* (with I try to avoid, but will here for entertainment) that the hardware posted by OP are M8 with a 13 mm head. *Could very-well have guessed incorrectly. -KB

• Like 2

• Solution

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

My guess is that these are two of the four diff-to-subframe bolts.

They look to small to be Diff to Subframe bolts (M12).  If the are M8 with 13mm Socket Heads, my guess would be the 2 bolts that attach the steering column to the bottom of the dash.

Mark92131

IMG_3153.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

9 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Oops, didn’t see the note indicating which diameter they were.   

I have a friend who always quotes bolt sizes by the hex…drives me nuts, but I just convert in my head passively now.

Nuts, yess! Here it was easy to guess but someone saying 10 millimeter meaning M6...  Aaaarghh!

M13 thread seems to exist but I'm yet to see one. M15 for shift knob or M7 on some throttle shafts are special but seen once in a while.

Edited by Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!