• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Porterfield Brake Pads

2002#3

Gang,

I found these Porterfield AP 82 R4-S racing pads hiding in my new parts stash today.  I remember trying to install them 5 or so years ago into 2002tii brake calipers I had just rebuilt (overhauled pistons; new rotors) and just could not get them inserted - pads too wide?  spaces too narrow?  l went with some good stock pads which have worked swimmingly since.  

Q:  Anyone use these on a tii?

Q:  Should they fit?

Thanks,

Larry

IMG_4039.thumb.jpeg.00c6ab8d7989f354dffc43767faa8e5d.jpeg

Toby, Jim, and visionaut,

Problem solved.  

I contacted Porterfield.  They knew the problem right away.  Seems someone packaged "extra thick" (+6mm) versions of these pads into "regular thickness" boxes for many customers.  They immediately shipped the correct pads and arranged for FedEX to pick up the thick pads tomorrow with free return.  Customer service extraordinaire.  Thank you, Porterfield.

photo left:  current shoe with ~1.5 mm of wear

photo right:  Porterfield AP 82 R4-S Fatties

Stay tuned.  News at 11:00.

Larry

IMG_4045.thumb.jpeg.f0e036af424d1da85ba6accaaa031388.jpeg

• Like 8

I had a set of 320x28 (irrc) Brembos on an e36, what Brembo calls their "Lotus" calipers, 1st used on V8 Esprits. Dodge Vipers used the same shaped pad, but thinner rotors and like these pads, too much meat on them to use - but lots cheaper. I ended up using my wood router to mill off enough material to use them. Great thst Porterfield stepped up and resolved it, but in a pinch I think that would've worked. 

Barrett 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Larry, it was something along those lines, over 15 years ago and my memory is far from exact. I used the router to cut a recess into a 2"x6" that the pads set down into, then just lowered the bit enough to remove the needed amount. Wore a dust mask, it left a smooth level finish, I did a couple of sets easy-peasy. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii