• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ISO 232 4speed transmission

Ratty76

Looking for a replacement 232 4 speed for my ride. Found a fried input shaft when I went to rebuild my existing. Anyone have one that is in good working order and willing to ship to the Midwest? Or is in the Midwest? 

Shipping is easy….Just throw it in a plastic Home Depot tote with newspaper inside.

Thank you in advance!

Then you're probably looking for a 242, which has the Borg-Warner synchros. Housings are dated inside the bellhousing, generally near the nose of the starter motor. I believe the switchover from 232 to 242 is ca. 1971. There are threads on the topic.

They all have "232..." casting numbers on the rear covers...

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

17 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Then you're probably looking for a 242, which has the Borg-Warner synchros. Housings are dated inside the bellhousing, generally near the nose of the starter motor. I believe the switchover from 232 to 242 is ca. 1971. There are threads on the topic.

They all have "232..." casting numbers on the rear covers...

Regards,

Steve

Hm, i thought 232s came with borgs after 71… Weird, the one i just dismantled (232) has borgs

Many of us — certainly I — thought — some of us for decades(!) — that the distinguishing feature between a 232 and a 242 was the mounting of the clutch slave cylinder, and the outward appearance of the housing. And we thought that ‘02’s used 232’s and e21’s used 242’s. Life was simple.

But we were proven wrong: the distinguishing feature between a 232 and a 242 was, instead, the guts. A 242 has many different internal parts, including different gear ratios, than a 232. The change of outward appearance, accompanying the e21, represented a change of 242 sub-model, not a change from 232 to 242.

The case has been prosecuted and I’m convinced, the 1971 switch from Porsche to Borg Warner synchros was but one of many internal changes that signaled the switch from 232 to 242. (232’s and 242’s share rear covers, which is why they all have a casting numbers beginning with “232…”) From that point on, ‘02’s used a 242/6, tii’s used a 242/4. E21’s used something like a 242/18… I kid you not! 

Here’s one good discussion, but you must read the whole kit and caboodle.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, Conserv said:

Many of us — certainly I — thought — some of us for decades(!) — that the distinguishing feature between a 232 and a 242 was the mounting of the clutch slave cylinder, and the outward appearance of the housing. And we thought that ‘02’s used 232’s and e21’s used 242’s. Life was simple.

But we were proven wrong: the distinguishing feature between a 232 and a 242 was, instead, the guts. A 242 has many different internal parts, including different gear ratios, than a 232. The change of outward appearance, accompanying the e21, represented a change of 242 sub-model, not a change from 232 to 242.

The case has been prosecuted and I’m convinced, the 1971 switch from Porsche to Borg Warner synchros was but one of many internal changes that signaled the switch from 232 to 242. (232’s and 242’s share rear covers, which is why they all have a casting numbers beginning with “232…”) From that point on, ‘02’s used a 242/6, tii’s used a 242/4. E21’s used something like a 242/18… I kid you not! 

Here’s one good discussion, but you must read the whole kit and caboodle.

Regards,

Steve

Love it Steve. Thanks for the great info!

• Thanks 1