• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Technical Manuals

its55

I see various technical manuals in the Books section of this site.  Besides a factory service manual, which I'm not willing to pay for, which is/are your favorites?

Also, I do not see this one listed in the Books section.  Does anyone use it and what do you think about it?  Thanks!

VELOCEPRESS.COM

VelocePress: Publisher and Distributor of European Automotive Books, Manuals and Buyer's Guides

The "original" manual, from when bmw didn't publish for mere customers.

This is what I used to learn how to work on my first car.

Ok, but a bit light on the details, as it assumes you have some technical skills.

And some things are flat incorrect.

But nice to have in the library.

• Like 2

Manuals? Manuals? We don’t need no stinking manuals…

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles/technical-articles/history-and-reference/bmw-2002-service-repair-manual-r247/

History and Reference is your friend…

I have been known to look in my Haynes. But folks don’t seem to use books anymore. Cuz internet — allows ‘em to just come here and ask. ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Also the factory, blue binder parts manual.  I use this a lot to view the exploded diagrams.  I know realoem.com is an online resource, but using that in the garage on my phone is not really an answer (too small).   For ordering parts, the online diagrams show the updated part numbers, but mostly I like seeing how things go back together from the exploded diagrams.  

• Like 3

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

Cuz internet — allows ‘em to just come here and ask. ?

That's why my responses are concise.  I leave out enough that the inquirer needs to do some research (and thinking ) on his own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

If you don't have the factory manuals in the blue binders, the red Haynes manual will get most everything you need.  The pictures in the Haynes are copies from the blue binders and sometimes are not as sharp.  I have also seen a reprint of the factory manuals in soft bound form; these also did NOT have the sharp photographs found in the original blue binders.

The scans found here on FAQ are good, but nothing beats having the actual book on the fender of the car as you are working.

Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

3 hours ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

Also the factory, blue binder parts manual.  I use this a lot to view the exploded diagrams.  I know realoem.com is an online resource, but using that in the garage on my phone is not really an answer (too small).   For ordering parts, the online diagrams show the updated part numbers, but mostly I like seeing how things go back together from the exploded diagrams.  

Hmm, when I bought my car it came with 1 Blue Service manual And , 2 - White binders that show the parts.  Were they all blue binders originally?

Edited by tomphot

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Well, the best parts books were orange. Mine are very well worn, fully depreciated you might say.

What is good about them is that, if you know how to read them, show the parts succession, which real oem nor the later blue book, do not necessarily.

Real oem though does show other cars in which that part may be used. E.g. something may be nla for one car, but not in another. The downfall is pricing (it's usually wrong) and if something is nla or not, usually it is......

When researching, it's best to look at ALL BMW references, and then others, like the archives of the actual manufacturer.

Or just ask Julio.

• Like 1