• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Technical Manuals

its55

On 2/11/2022 at 9:08 AM, Einspritz said:

Well, the best parts books were orange. Mine are very well worn, fully depreciated you might say.

What is good about them is that, if you know how to read them, show the parts succession, which real oem nor the later blue book, do not necessarily.

I have two '02 Parts Manuals (2 vol each)

One is dated May 1969 and the other April 1971.

I'm pretty convinced the 'Orange' versions were NOT earlier than the blue, but perhaps you could let us know the date on your Orange ones.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

22 hours ago, bergie33 said:

most of my computers don't even have a CD drive anymore.

No problem!  Using an external USB optical media drive you can copy the ISO file from the CD/DVD or just copy the files to a folder which can be read natively from most contemporary operating systems.  

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Mine are 3/78. "Identical to the parts fiche #15"

I'm pretty convinced that the Blue parts books are reproductions of the fiche and the Orange books, as I worked at an independent BMW shop in 1981-~1985. The owner was a German, factory trained master mechanic who, I think, would have had the larger format "blue" books. I received them when he died and the shop was closed.

My belief was that the "Blue" books were easier to reproduce from those Orange books and were easier to update (by page) as the supercessions occurred, as was a fiche update.

Either way, they are a handy addition to anyone's library, as just one venue for research.

51 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Mine are 3/78. "Identical to the parts fiche #15"

I'm pretty convinced that the Blue parts books are reproductions of the fiche and the Orange books, as I worked at an independent BMW shop in 1981-~1985. The owner was a German, factory trained master mechanic who, I think, would have had the larger format "blue" books. I received them when he died and the shop was closed.

My belief was that the "Blue" books were easier to reproduce from those Orange books and were easier to update (by page) as the supercessions occurred, as was a fiche update.

Either way, they are a handy addition to anyone's library, as just one venue for research.

As you say, the Blue Books are 'same' as the fiche, but I believe you have Orange v Blue reproductions backwards.

There were also some White folder ones, or maybe that was just the repair manuals.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 2/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, Pdxguy said:

Does someplace sell the repair and parts manual on CD still?

Answered my own question.

WWW.2002AD.COM

Come rest your eyes on Los Angeles' recognized classic BMW parts and service authority. 2002AD.

Those factory CDs ran on Windows 95 or 98.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

48 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

It will work on XP with a bit of fiddling, and iirc you can install the program on your hard drive, but have to have the disk in for the data.

I understand there are ways to emulate previous Win versions on modern machines, but that's beyond me!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

It's no using a separate emulation nor the Windows "run as".

later versions of Windows, or even a Macintosh PC emulator may still do it.

If you really need to use it and you have the CD and want help I will do my best to dig in my archives of "all things computer" to find the script.

42 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

If you really need to use it and you have the CD and want help

I have actually played with this a little but with no success even using W98 VMs on a W10 machine, so I would be interested how you cracked this nut.

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png