• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Euro headlight lens replacement

Zoeydebord

Replacing of the lens is tricky. I wrote in my project's thread some tips. By "housing lip" i mean the marked area from the photo. You have to use pliers and make it wider:

"Also i had many problems with installing the seals. I couldn't take pictures from installing the seals, but here are my tips: Put the seals on hot water for few minutes to get softer. Then install the seal on the lens. Use some lubricant which will not affect the rubber to put the seal easier. Then use tiny rope, and put it in the seal canal where the housing lip should sit. Use some pliers to expand the outer housing lip / board where the seal will sit. Because if you dont do it, the lens and the seal will not get in. Leave the lens + the seal and the installed rope on a soft surface (because we dont want to break the glass when pushing lol) and start pushing the housing from above. When pushing start pulling the rope. When pulling the rope the things should happen and the seal will get behind the housing lip. It is kinda hard to explain without pictures, but i hope you will understand me. After installing the lens and the seal, use silicone hammer to straiten back the outer housing lip / board."

IMG_2772.thumb.JPG.ea43f705fd411c1c5b8567998bae0088.jfif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

10 hours ago, Gordon said:

For my former Euro 1802, I remember going to the auto parts store in Deutschland and getting another H4 light for the broken one on the 1802 after my ex had a minor accident.

Hey Gordon, I would love to know how you managed to fit a sealed-beam light (like the one in your earlier post) into a Euro bucket and kept it from wobbling around and be adjustable for beam direction.

pic of bucket and reflector as per orig assy fwiw,

001.thumb.JPG.6665a422af0fe998844bc34a47edd001.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

10 hours ago, Gordon said:

For my former Euro 1802, I remember going to the auto parts store in Deutschland and getting another H4 light for the broken one on the 1802 after my ex had a minor accident.

You may well have done so, but it was for the later style bucket/light assembly. This is the early style. Very different.

Replacing the lenses is pretty fiddly.  I would not try to reuse the old gaskets.  The gaskets need to be really soft and pliable, and it's tricky enough to do with new gaskets.  As suggested in a previous post, I soaked mine in hot water and used spray silicon lubricant when fitting the gasket to the lens, and the lens to the bucket.  I managed to replace both lenses without breaking them, but I did break one of the old ones when removing it.  I didn't use the string trick, but that's probably a good idea.

If your reflectors are starting to deteriorate, these folks have a great reputation for refurbishing headlight, including recoating reflectors and replacing lenses. 

416a72_618753005e104c208587b36892541ab2~
WWW.REFLEKTORKLINIK.DE

www.reflektorklinik.de - Reflektorreparatur, Scheinwerfer Umbau auf Rechtsverkehr, PVD Beschichtung, Reflektor Restauration, Oldtimer Scheinwerfer Reparatur, Xenonreflektor Reparatur, Alu bedampfen

• Thanks 1

1971 2002ti

18 hours ago, Jam3422 said:

Replacing the lenses is pretty fiddly.  I would not try to reuse the old gaskets.  The gaskets need to be really soft and pliable, and it's tricky enough to do with new gaskets.  As suggested in a previous post, I soaked mine in hot water and used spray silicon lubricant when fitting the gasket to the lens, and the lens to the bucket.  I managed to replace both lenses without breaking them, but I did break one of the old ones when removing it.  I didn't use the string trick, but that's probably a good idea.

If your reflectors are starting to deteriorate, these folks have a great reputation for refurbishing headlight, including recoating reflectors and replacing lenses. 

416a72_618753005e104c208587b36892541ab2~
WWW.REFLEKTORKLINIK.DE

www.reflektorklinik.de - Reflektorreparatur, Scheinwerfer Umbau auf Rechtsverkehr, PVD Beschichtung, Reflektor Restauration, Oldtimer Scheinwerfer Reparatur, Xenonreflektor Reparatur, Alu bedampfen

These are all very helpful responses, though I'm now a bit intimidated about the process. I will plan on getting a new gasket for sure. Is this part 3-12-8-650-131?

Many thanks, Larry