• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prayer for a Fuel Pump - Long Neck

Reza Taheri

I bought an 02 in Kansas and flew from California to pick it up and drive back. With all the hassles of the airport, I shipped parts/tools to the seller over a week ago. Post office lost the package, it was last seen in LA. In that bin, a fuel pump. I am now stranded in Oklahoma and it seems my fuel pump gave out.

So here's a prayer if anyone is in Oklahoma with a long neck fuel pump. 

916-747-3901

As  you probably know - there were two different types of pumps...one uses a long push rod and the other uses a slightly shorter push rod. To cover your arse - see if you can snag a pump WITH it's appropriate push rod from someone, otherwise you might still be stuck.

Also: Pierburg (and any vendor that carries them) has the current batch of mechanical 2002 pumps MISLABELED and the ones they're often selling will not properly clear the upper manifold coolant hose. 

If it were me - and I was in a huge hurry: I'd get a 2.5-3.5 psi "Facet" electric fuel pump from the local auto parts store ($40?) and simply strap it to the car somewhere with a 12 volt wire and ground going to it, to get you home. If you're feeling frisky - put an in-line fuse in the circuit.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 2

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

That is great advice, thank you!

Btw, Hal is the seller and being the amazing guy that he is, he packed me a spare fuel pump and I didn't notice it. It works and I am back in business! But I'm still going to O'Reilly's in the morning for a back up. 

Anytime I tell my wife about the FAQ she uses her Vin Diesel voice "It's not about cars, it's about family". But this community really is amazing

• Like 4

If the Facet pump is in your future, I do believe a VW/Porsche fuel pump block off bolt right up to the BMW head. Facet provides the 2.5-4 psi needed to get you home. Remember to twist that dizzy to compensate. 
Take pictures. Revel in the adventure. Appreciate the time delay that might have kept you from running into something really shitty. 
Cheers to you for taking on the task of a new project! 

Edited by RichenFamous
  • Like 1

I ended up having the same problem at high speed, turns out it was just a clogged filter. Filter looked fine from the top, but when I finally took it out to really inspect it the entire bottom was just a pool of muddy rust. I'm going to change the filter everytime I burn through 2 tanks of fuel, let's see how clean it gets by the time I'm finally home.

• Like 2