• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coils, coils, coils.......questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey folks,

I'm running a Pertronix in an 002 centrifugal dizzy in my slightly modified '02. I have a blue Bosch coil at this point, but I've heard on this board that they are wimpy. Has anyone used the Pertronix coil? Will it work without a ballast resistor? Can I gap my plugs wider with that coil? Any info would be appreciatesd!

Colin

Guest Anonymous

engine setup. I've not attempted to measure the spark voltage with/without the Pertronix coil, I do have an extremely hot and healthy spark.

Yes it runs without a ballast resistor. The only caveat I can offer is that if you leave the ignition on (and the car not running), that sucker get's mighty hot. (This is something that Pertronix explicitly tells you not to do).

Regards,

John N

Guest Anonymous

I understand the blue coil is wimpier than the black coil, despite the color. The red is the one to go for, but the actual data behind it, at this point in time, escapes me.

Do you mean pertronix pointless (doesn't sound right, does it?) ignition? Or do you mean actually the pertronix coil? I wasn't aware pertronix MADE a coil.. see, I am learning too..

Regardless, if you are running Pertronix pointless, electronic ignition, yep, you can increase the gap width on your plugs. Like to .044... At least that's what other, more brighter people recommend, and something that I jumped to do immediately after reading it. Did it make a noticeable difference? Well, not "whoa nelley!" vs. "ho-hum", but I can say my car is running great (knock on wood), but that also may be a lot of other things... luck and moon position of course, playing a major role.

hope this rambling, non-commital reply helps!

Good luck!

-Jason '73 Tii